Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

Testing Dropbox for Business using Developer Account

New member | Level 2

Is it possible to do such a thing with only a free Developer Account? I have built a "team" and included a team admin, in addition I've got a business app and setup the oauth details, however after I login with the team admin I get:

You must be a team administrator to authorize this app. Either login to a Dropbox for Business admin account, or contact an existing administrator for your team.

So, I am a team admin (or more accurately the account I am using is), is this failing because I haven't purchased a Dropbox for Business account? I don't need the service, I just need to write an App against it.

Any suggestions?

6 Replies

Re: Testing Dropbox for Business using Developer Account

Dropboxer
Yes, you'll need a Dropbox Business account for this. A free account won't work, but you can use a trial:

https://www.dropbox.com/business

I'll send this along as a request for a better way to test this.

New member | Level 2

Thanks Greg, that's a pain, but it's out of your direct control.

New member | Level 2

Hi Greg, has there been any progress on this? Since the trial is only 30 days, doesn't really do the trick long term.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Feels good to see the company replying responsibly.

Source: https://www.techwhoop.com/download-cisco-anyconnect/

Dropboxer

@Ben_Indy No, unfortunately I don't have any news on this.

We appreciate the feedback though! I'll send it along to the team.

Dropboxer

We now have the ability to offer developers access to a free Dropbox Business Development Account. This will allow you to test your app using a standard Dropbox Business team. You can request one using this online form. Once the team approves your request, you’ll be sent instructions by email to set up your development account. 

Note that development accounts are granted on a by-request basis and are contingent on additional terms and conditions outlined in the request form. 

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. I hope this allows you to better test your applications in the future. 

API Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about API Support.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.