cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: To use API v2 in iOS platform, we need an objective-C version

To use API v2 in iOS platform, we need an objective-C version

C. Tim
New member | Level 2

We didn't use swift in our app development for iOS devices.

To use API v2 in iOS platform, we need an objective-C version!!!

Please kindly provide an objective-C version!

53 Replies 53

C. Tim
New member | Level 2

Is it possible that you can open source the deprecated Sync SDK so we can maintain or modify it to use Core API v2 by ourself?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

C. Tim, I can't make any promises, but I'm sending this along as a request to make it open source.

David N.18
New member | Level 1

It is incredible that a company such as Dropbox would even go down this path. Supporting developers should be any companies #1 priority. Instead it sure seems like you and your team are focused on doing 'what you enjoy' instead of supporting the rest of us. Our team has chosen to pull all of our Dropbox support and only support Google Drive. We need a cross-platform way to access and manage files from a variety of devices and the lack of true Obj-C support is ridiculous. The two pages of complaints and explanations on why this is important only results in 'we underestimated, and it's not a priority'. This is an extreme disappointment to us and we feel that only by directing our clients to other services and moving our business away will the point be driven home. I'm sorry for your approach to this and your response so far has only been disappointing. Good luck with your push towards Swift, it sure looks like it's going well for you. I'm glad you get to use the Enums you like.

philippe l.9
New member | Level 1

Very sad to read this thread that goes since August without actual solution for ObjC. 

Our app already integrate iCloud and Adobe CC, I was excited about bringing Dropbox to our users but that won't apparently happen soon. 

It is a shame.

TK K.
New member | Level 1

First I am a developer and NOT a paid DropBox fanboy 😉 You know, I felt the same way at first about the lack of a v2 API for objC. However after integrating the v1 SDK for iOS, and taking a hard look at what "new" or different features are available in the v2 iOS SDK for Swift, there really are no significant features missing.

You are really stressing over the name - v1 vs v2 without considering what the SDK provides or how DropBox really works (under the trappings of any of the SDKs). The core DropBox API is usable by anyone directly using HTTP requests - the interface libraries are just someone's take on making it easier for a given platform or programming language. Furthermore, these libraries (SDKs) are not optimal - NONE of them expose ALL the features of the core DropBox API as it exists as a RESTful interface. They all leave out something you might want or do it in a way which may not fit your desired usage.

What is nice about the DB SDKs is that they are open source and you can enhance them to your liking, use them as is, or roll your own. Also the folks on here are somewhat responsive compared to the other platforms (Drive, iCloud, OneDrive...). The core DB API is much easier to use than any of those other storage APIs as well IMO.

So while I too felt the same way, I have to agree with DropBox - even though they don't say it the iOS v2 SDK does not really bring a lot to the table that the v1 SDK does not bring. And as a developer that has used the v1 SDK, if they were to come out with a v2 SDK for objC, I would be bummed if I had to rewrite a bunch of code for new/different interfaces just to achieve the same functionality I already have today. The only thing I would do to their v1 API is make it Oauth2 compliant and leave everything else the same anyway.

Russ B.4
New member | Level 1

Steve,

My ObjectiveCBridgeable proposal is designed for these sorts of scenarios. It's currently in review, not sure if it will be approved or make Swift 3 but it makes bridging between the two languages a lot easier without sacrificing advanced Swift features.

Tim J.6
New member | Level 2

I open sourced a Dropbox v2 client library I wrote to migrate my app Close-up over to v2 today. It's named TJDropbox, you can check it out on Github here. It's 100% Objective-C and has no dependencies. It only supports a few endpoints for now, but it's easily extensible and may be useful for others! It even allows for migration from the v1 SDK if that's what you're currently using.

Mike K.14
New member | Level 1

I just got an email that the v1 API is now deprecated. SO what are existing iOS applications that use the core v1 API supposed to do? How can you possibly deprecate an API without having a new v2 API for people to use that have coded with objective C? Really?

Ashok M.2
New member | Level 1

Hi Gregory,

Could you please share current details and state of DBv2 (swifty).

As per following migration guide for v1 to v2, it says Objective-C SDK is coming out in Aug 2016.

https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2016/04/announcing-the-v1-to-v2-migration-guide/

Are you guys planning to release a separate v2 SDK that is purely Objective-C or it's still the Swifty SDK with Objective-C support? 

Thanks in advance.

vincy w.
New member | Level 1

Dropbox Swify, as per today is it usable by existing objc apps?

Need more support?