cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload a file using c++ via curl

Upload a file using c++ via curl

hb_
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I was googling for a way to upload a file to any cloud storage using c++ and came across dropbox api. I found the code, so I did a copy and paste to try and see if it works. I entered the Access token and ran the code, the upload failed showing this error:

"Error in call to API function "files/upload": The given OAuth 2 access token is malformed."

I suspect the error could be related to this line of code:

curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, "https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/upload");

But I am new in this so I have no idea how to solve it.

23 Replies 23

hb_
Helpful | Level 5

I know, I just hope Dropbox releases it not in a distant future

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @hb_,

The code you find out seems pretty old (last update 6 years ago). Old Dropbox API is implemented there (currently deprecated, although available still). I'm not sure if there is schedule for this API support dropping. From other view point this is good example of Boost library usage (very powerful C++ library). I have no idea, in this context, why libcurl is still used (everything could be done using Boost only). Also this code could be used as good (not the best, but...) example of mixing C and C++ code. :wink: May be this could be used as start point for implementing Dropbox API v2. (at least some tips)

Good luck.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I just took a look at that third party libray, and I can confirm it does use the old Dropbox API v1. To clarify one point, Dropbox API v1 is already retired, and so it not available. Attempting Dropbox API v1 calls will fail.

hb_
Helpful | Level 5

thank you guys for your insight, appreciate it

yeah @Здравко  I have recently started using boost, as a matter of fact the reason I've been searching a way to use c++ to upload file to dropbox is that I have found out the way to search files recursively by their extension, so I thought of going in Disk D:\\ and uploading all the files with .jpg or .mp4 extensions.
I know what you're thinking, Dropbox application can even upload a whole folder but it is a lot more fun to do that with code, specially since I am C++ beginner.

@Greg-DB ooh, thanks for this info, I will stop cracking my head with that library

Need more support?