cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User options (open in new tab or download) for Temporary Link

User options (open in new tab or download) for Temporary Link

BobHabig
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Wonering if anyone is able to help me achieve the desired user experience I'd like using the temporary link generated from the get_temporary_link endpoint.

This link, on click, initiates a download by default. What I would prefer is to instead give the user the option of downloading the document which they can then click on to open in the browser, OR open the document directly in the browser, without the middle step of clicking the downloaded file.

The get_temporary_link endpoint is our only endpoint option due to speed. We have tried create_shared_link_with_settings, but process of loading the document through dropbox in the new tab took too long for our needs, and get_temporary_link is very fast.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

BobHabig
Helpful | Level 5

Just a note for clarity, even if the file must download no matter what, I'd love to know if there is a way to programmatically open the downloaded file for the user, which saves them the step of having to click it to open it.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, there isn't an option for controlling this (either for accessing the link initially, or opening it after the fact), but I'll pass this along as a feature request.

BobHabig
Helpful | Level 5

I appreciate the response and for passing along the request!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BobHabig Helpful | Level 5
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?