cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBA code to get Shared Folder link

VBA code to get Shared Folder link

gcaspall
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Can somebody please tell me if it's possible to retrieve a shared folder link (that I will later send on to a 3rd party) using VBA and presumably the DropBox API?  I know the exact path to the folder on my C drive that I would like to send a link to ("C:\Users\me\Dropbox\JobName\Folder2Link") so just want to retrieve the share link that I would normally get by right-clicking on the folder in question and selecting 'Copy Dropbox Link' from the menu.

If it is possible, I would very much appreciate some direction on how to accomplish this.

Thanks very much

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, the Dropbox API does offer the ability to programmatically create shared links like this. That's available via the /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings endpoint

We recommend using one of the official Dropbox API v2 SDKs to access the API if possible. 

For instance, in the Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK, this functionality is available as the CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsAsync method.

When using the API, file paths should be relative to the Dropbox root, so in your example the path would be "/JobName/Folder2Link".

gcaspall
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks very much Greg

If you could point me in the direction of where to download the API. and some samples of VBA code that I can relate to, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks very much

Graham

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I don't believe we have any samples or resources for VBA in particular unfortunately. If you can't use one of the official SDKs (or a third party library), you'll need to use the HTTPS API directly. You can find the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#sharing-create_shared_link_with_... 

That includes curl examples that you can translate for whatever HTTPS client you're using.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    gcaspall Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?