cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webhook notification not sent when new file is shared to an account

Webhook notification not sent when new file is shared to an account

tomas1808
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi. I would like to get notified (via webhooks) when a file is shared to an account. I get notified for everything except this. Is it possible? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, unfortunately Dropbox webhooks aren't sent for sharing events like this, e.g., when a user is given access to a shared file, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Dropbox webhooks currently only get sent when there is a change the actual contents of the connected user's Dropbox account. This would include when something changes in shared folders that they have mounted in their Dropbox, but not when a file is shared to them, since that doesn't get added to their Dropbox file/folder listing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, unfortunately Dropbox webhooks aren't sent for sharing events like this, e.g., when a user is given access to a shared file, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Dropbox webhooks currently only get sent when there is a change the actual contents of the connected user's Dropbox account. This would include when something changes in shared folders that they have mounted in their Dropbox, but not when a file is shared to them, since that doesn't get added to their Dropbox file/folder listing.

tomas1808
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Greg

pcooperuk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

Can I ask for this policy to be reviewed again.  As part of my companies reactive security we wish to implement the ability to detect all new sharing of files and folders on our dropbox account.

I understand that we can poll this data per file with

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#sharing-list_file_members

However this is not practical to poll every file that the webhooks inform of being changed / added.

Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@pcooperuk I don't have an update on this request, but I'll pass your feedback along to the team. Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    pcooperuk Explorer | Level 3
    tomas1808 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?