cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I install on Dropbox Client Windows 7 to log Date and Time of Pause and Resume Sync?

What can I install on Dropbox Client Windows 7 to log Date and Time of Pause and Resume Sync?

lrobertson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a remote location (Dropbox Client 1gb/sec connection) that I can not access and it automatically drops a 3gb file into my dropbox 2 times a month.  This Dropbox client has LogMeIn installed on it by the system admin. The problem is that I suspect this admin is using LogMeIn to remotely Pause Syncing by remoting into the Dropbox Client Computer thus delaying my ability to edit and publish this 3gb file up to 4 days.  My testing on all other client computers (4 all together that I do have access to and he does not) all sync this 3gb file in less than 2 minutes on a 1gb/sec connection.  Is there some kind of script I can run run on either the server or the client that would detect if syncing has paused or resumed logging the date and time?

Please Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Unfortunately, no, Dropbox doesn't offer any sort of official interface that can be used to programmatically check/change the syncing status like this. I'll send it along as a feature request, but I can't make any promises as to if/when that would be implemented.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Unfortunately, no, Dropbox doesn't offer any sort of official interface that can be used to programmatically check/change the syncing status like this. I'll send it along as a feature request, but I can't make any promises as to if/when that would be implemented.

lrobertson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the information I hope some day it will be a feature where the client sends logging information back to the server.

In the mean time I am going to start writing a Windows Service in Visual Basic 2011 that will use the 

System.IO.FileSystemWatcher()

to monitor the Dropbox folder on the client and write to the eventlog and a seperate log file.  This will require getting access to the computer to install the  service but I will find a way.

The idea is to fire events for change, newly added and deleted files recursively in the dropbox directory.  In the newly added event, I will test the file lock in a loop to see if it has finished copying from the source to the dropbox folder and log the time/date then set a timer to count a reasonable amount of time that it would take of file of that filesize to sync and log that as well if the time was exceeded.  I'm sure I will need to consider more and will cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks again

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lrobertson Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?