cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of Stupid API you have created?

What kind of Stupid API you have created?

rjroy
New member | Level 2

What kind of effing numb nuts have given you API structure idea? You guys support OAuth bu there is no seperate API generation option for the same. And once someone generates he/she has to install your effing drop box distribute it to 5 people before enable a **bleep** OAuth login? And why the heck I need to create folders on user's dropbox for that? Where did you come from?

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you had an unsatisfactory experience with the Dropbox API. We appreciate the feedback, though I'm not sure I fully follow the issues you ran in to. I'll be happy to help with any problems if you want. Please share the details if so. 

For reference, we do have OAuth 2 endpoints to be used for the OAuth app authorization flow. Specifically, /oauth2/authorize and /oauth2/token. These are links to the documentation for more information. (You can also bypass the normal flow to get an access token for your app on your own account using the "Generate" button on the app's page on the App Console.)

I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to the "5 people" though. There are some user limits for apps in development mode, but the limit isn't 5 accounts. You can find more information about that in the developer guide here.

Also, there isn't a requirement to install an official Dropbox app to use the API. Using the Dropbox API involves communicating directly with the Dropbox servers from your third party app's code, so you don't need to install any official Dropbox app.

Finally, exactly what files and folders your app creates is up to you. The only exception is if your app is registered for the "app folder" permission, where the app is sandboxed to a special app folder created for it automatically. You can find more information on the different permissions here. (If you have an app registered for the app folder permission, but don't wish to use that permission, you can register an app for the "full Dropbox" permission instead.)

Hope this helps! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?