Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more
Highlighted

Will there be an ability to tag files in Dropbox?

New member | Level 1

Hi, 

I would like to be able to add "tags" to a file. I.e: "blue", "2016", "Spring", "Photographer Name" etc... in order to make categorizing easier. 

Using folder and files names is too limited. 

Is it possible to edit file headers and to store information in there? 

Does the dropbox fileID change over time if the file is moved or something like that or is it a permanent ID? 

Thank you in advance for any input you could provide on this subject. 

75 Replies

Re: Tagging files

Dropboxer

It's not currently possible to add custom tags or metadata like this, but I'm sending this along as a feature request. 

And no, moving a file does not change its file ID, so you can use that to track files across moves/renames. 

New member | Level 1

Thank you for your answer Gregory slightly smiling face 

New member | Level 2

Hi,

It would be good that we can add the function to be able to add some  information to the files too. it is kind of reminder for  me what the files are about .. it is good function to add. Please..Thanks. 

New member | Level 1

Tagging files would be a great help. It's too hard to keep track of large sets of data without it (or massive file names). There's an app (Cloudfind) that does it for you but I'd rather keep it all in dropbox - please sort it for an update! Thanks

New member | Level 1

Hi - please can you add tags to your dropbox note/paper app. this would make such a difference and bring it in line with evernote.

New member | Level 1

Hey Jonathan - are you already using cloudfind?

New member | Level 1

Tags is very important for me. Its very helpfuls for organization thinks a documents. 

Please TAGs slightly smiling face

New member | Level 1

Hi there,

Sorry to spam this thread... but does anyone at Dropbox know when tagging features will be added?

Cloudfind seems to be the best way to do this outside of DB.

I've not used it yet, but does anyone know how it works?  Once you've tagged DB files using Cloudfind, do the files stay tagged? Does Cloudfind always need to be present?  Presumably it works in tandem with Dropbox.  If you stop using Cloudfind, are all your tags lost?

Thanks y'all.

Dropboxer

Hi Jon, I can't promise if or when we might add native tagging to Dropbox. We're tracking it as a feature request.

API Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about API Support.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post