cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dbx.files_upload raises ('Connection aborted.', BadStatusLine("''",))

dbx.files_upload raises ('Connection aborted.', BadStatusLine("''",))

barry m.10
New member | Level 1

Hi, 

I am unable to upload using your Files_upload function. It fails with the following error:

requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: ('Connection aborted.', BadStatusLine("''",)) 

I am on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Using Python 2.7.11. I installed upgrades to dropbox (6.2 six-1.10.0) and Requests (2.10.0). 

I can replicate the problem with your back-up-and-restore example program. 

My app at dropbox is in development status. Permission type = App Folder. I generated an access token to use while developing. 

My token seems ok. If I extend the demo program with a for loop to list files in my directory, it lists the files which I manually placed in there. 

Also the following creates a text file in my app folder (the text file sent to dropbox contains just the string 'my-file.txt' ... ? is this working as designed? ... I assumed that it would have sent the file named 'my-file.txt'?)... anyway the text file is created at DropBox ok. 

dbx.files_upload('my-file.txt', BACKUPPATH2, mode=WriteMode('overwrite')) 

But when I try with any file object in the first operand it times out after (exactly) 1 minute with the above error message. 

with open(LOCALFILE, 'r') as f:
# We use WriteMode=overwrite to make sure that the settings in the file
# are changed on upload
print("Uploading " + LOCALFILE + " to Dropbox as " + BACKUPPATH + "...")

What can I do to analyse the problem? Is there some config required at the router etc.  ...  I have tried with my firewall off. I have no problem dragging files to DropBox or FTPing large files etc

Thanks 

4 Replies 4

barry m.10
New member | Level 1

Update: Code from here https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#files_upload  works in my environment. ie.:

import requests
import json

url = "https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/upload"

headers = {
"Authorization": "<redacted>",
"Content-Type": "application/octet-stream",
"Dropbox-API-Arg": "{\"path\":\"/xxxxx3\",\"mode\":{\".tag\":\"overwrite\"}}"
}

data = open("My_File.txt", "rb").read()

r = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data=data)

But still no joy using your python SDK ... any ideas?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Barry, the first parameter to files_upload should be "A string or file-like obj of data.". That's the data that gets uploaded. So, if you want to upload a file, you need to open the file and supply the object (not just the path), as you have in your latter examples.

As far as the BadStatusLine issue is concerned, can you try opening the file in binary mode and let me know if that doesn't help? I.e.:

with open(LOCALFILE, 'rb') as f:

barry m.10
New member | Level 1

thanks for your assistance Gregory

<< As far as the BadStatusLine issue is concerned, can you try opening the file in binary mode and let me know if that doesn't help?>>

Yes, that fixed it. Who should be advised that the Python example program which is provided has a bug? Statement 21 at https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-python/blob/master/example/back-up-and-restore/backup-and-res... 

Also, could the error handling be improved? The current exception is not helpful to identify the problem.

<<the first parameter to files_upload should be "A string or file-like obj of data.">>

Yes, I had read that. The documentation could be improved IMO. The name of the function is files-upload. My error I know, but I was blind-sided by that, and was thinking that the function only dealt with files. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Great, and thanks for letting me know. We'll get it fixed up.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    barry m.10 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?