cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: include_media_info - "This parameter will no longer have an effect starting December 2, 201

include_media_info - "This parameter will no longer have an effect starting December 2, 2019"

Dennyw
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello my friends,

can we please discuss that topic? Right now I'm unable to retrieve the Date Taken, Longitude or Latitude for my Photos. It seems like Dropbox removed that possibility and I didn't notice that until now. My App isn't woking anymore because of this.

I already opened a github issue for the java client and am waiting for a response: https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-java/issues/268

Anyone who knows more about that topic?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Only workaround - use of get_metadata for all desired files. 😉

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Only workaround - use of get_metadata for all desired files. 😉

Dennyw
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Nice, let me try that out, but that will send much more requests to the Dropbox servers. I'm open to do it, but I don't think that the Dropbox Team should have done that!

EDIT: It works, but it's crazy slow! (Which is normal, I know...) I'm calling that API now x thausend times...

@Здравко 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution
Unfortunately, that's it. I fully agree with you. Let's hope Dropbox will revert or improve the feature somehow.

Dennyw
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thank you for your help! 100% of the open issue are with at least one reply, so I hope to get a positive message from a developer on github. Have a nice day!

Dennyw
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
If someone knows how and who to tag here to get more attention by the Dropbox team, feel free.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution
Probably @Greg-DB can forward a query to development.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

[Cross-linking for reference: https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-java/issues/268 ]

@Dennyw Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear this change caught you unaware. We emailed developers using this functionality about this deprecation earlier this year, but it sounds like that unfortunately did not make it to you.

In any case, we appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback with us. I'm sending it along to the team now.

Unfortunately though, we do not currently have a batch way for retrieving media metadata, nor does the team have plans for one.

As for a workaround, I'm afraid the only one I can offer is to call /2/files/get_metadata  (getMetadata in the Java SDK) for each file for which you need the extracted media metadata, like Здравко mentioned. I understand that this isn't as performant in your case, so I will highlight this with the team.

Apologies I don't have better news for you!

Dennyw
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hello,
@Greg-DB

Thank you very much for your message. I did the Dropbox implementation mid this year, that might be the reason I didn't know this. And I didn't really read the java doc during the implementation...

Right now I have around 300 users using that data provider. And interestingly I see by far less new users beginning with the 2nd December, which makes sense.

Please consider re-activating that if you dont want to loose me as a dev customer. My users wont be happy, but ok, they can still switch to google photos, google drive or onedrive...

I'm sorry and thank you for your help.

Denny

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Dennyw Thanks for the additional information and feedback! I'll share this with the team.

Need more support?