cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

list_folder/continue for file id

list_folder/continue for file id

Jackson D.1
Explorer | Level 4

The list_folder/continue api is needed for an API user to track changes to files under a given folder. If the folder is moved, the list_folder/continue API will return a path not found error. If the id of the folder is known, the changes watching can be started again on the same folder via a call to get_metadata to get the file's path, then list_folder/continue with the file path. However, any changes that occur between when the folder is moved, and when the new list_folder/continue call is made will be lost. This is really bad for anybody that relies on the list_folder/continue api for maintaining the consistency of their local state.

I ran the following experiment:

1. Create a folder and start watching changes via list_folder/continue

2. Add a file to the folder. list_folder/continue shows the new file change.

3. Move the folder to another location.

4. list_folder/continue returns path not found.

5. Add a file to the folder in the new location.

6. Move the folder back to its original location.

7. Call list_folder/continue again. The new file, and the file added to the folder when it was in the different location are listed.

From this experiment I can conclude the list_folder/continue api is independent of folder location. It is only time based.

On my assumption that list_folder/continue is time based, can you allow us to supply a 'from' parameter that will list folder changes from a given point in time?

Alternatively, can you make the list_folder/continue api support access by file ids so that we don't lose track of changes when a folder is moved, as was one of the purported major features of api v2.

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Jackson, this endpoint isn't time based exactly; when you supply a path it acts as a sort of filter on the events you'll get back. Suffice to say though, the behavior you described is expected, and the best way to handle that case would be file ID support for /files/list_folder, so I'm sending this along as a request for that. (If you need to stay up to date with the full state though, you should use the root "" path.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?