cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Dropbox-API-Arg": could not decode input as JSON

"Dropbox-API-Arg": could not decode input as JSON

Umair-afzal
Helpful | Level 5

Error in call to API function "files/get_thumbnail": HTTP header "Dropbox-API-Arg": could not decode input as JSON

here is code

var folder_flag = 0;
axios({
        method: 'POST',
        url: 'https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/list_folder',
        headers: {
            Authorization: 'Beareraccess_token',
            'Content-Type': 'application/json'
        },
        data: {
            path: "",
            include_media_info: true
        }
    })
    .then(function(response) {
            console.log(response);
            for (var i = 0; i < response.data.entries.length; i++) {
                if (response.data.entries[i][".tag"] == "folder") {
                    folders.push(response.data.entries[i].name);
                    folder_flag = 1;
                } else if (response.data.entries[i][".tag"] == "file") {
                    axios({
                            method: 'POST',
                            url: 'https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/get_thumbnail',
                            headers: {
                                Authorization: 'Bearer access_token',
                                'Content-Type': 'application/json',
                                'Dropbox-API-Arg': response.data.entries[i].id
                            }
                        })
                        .then(function(response) {
                            console.log(response);
                            file_flag = 1;
                        });
                } else {
                    console.log('No File or Folder availabel right now');
                }
8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

[Cross-linking for reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51614378/error-in-call-to-api-function-files-get-thumbnail-http-... ]

This error is indicating that the value you're sending in the "Dropbox-API-Arg" header isn't valid JSON. In your code, you're setting "Dropbox-API-Arg" to "response.data.entries[i].id", which isn't JSON. It's just a string with the ID for a file. 

You can see an example of what this is supposed to be in the documentation for /2/files/get_thumbnail. You probably mean to do something like this:

'Dropbox-API-Arg': JSON.stringify({"path": response.data.entries[i].id})

Umair-afzal
Helpful | Level 5
I got this response

ÿØÿàJFIFÿÛC

%# , #&')*)-0-(0%()(ÿÛC

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((ÿÀ$@"ÿÄ
ÿĵ}!1AQa"q2‘¡#B±ÁRÑð$3br‚
%&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyzƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š’“”•–—˜™š¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª²³´µ¶·¸¹ºÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚáâãäåæçèéêñòóôõö÷øùúÿÄ
ÿĵw!1AQaq"2B‘¡±Á #3RðbrÑ
$4á%ñ&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š’“”•–—˜™š¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª²³´µ¶·¸¹ºÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚâãäåæçèéêòóôõö÷øùúÿÚ ?è¼!£ÜM¤ÝËeáKMR6*"šI•|Æع@»È\rsÜפéÒn4ø$Ö¼9aëG™cŒîXÉþ÷ú׉Û|DÖtëO±èò%¨ƒ/2Én­¸°HÜ20«ÏïZMÛ]i6ÓÞ\Ý4³ÛFÒ”0¨%€zu®ªôœ`¥eg÷›TæiI¤®Cÿ†Cÿý—̯Cœÿ:|?ð¸pi¹WÛÛßžzUÛe·ØU§–Ä/— ‹¼w'p<Žæ*´~-ÓgѵmZÐ5Ä:|s4Á Lk–@FÇcÒ¸œã$õ0¾¶!ðÈØßØ$@!qÇo©éJ<á”ÿ„zÈmÆ~Pp?È®[VøÁ£Xh‘_É¥ê
mT¦FáŸïT:WÆ}RðÖ±®G¦ê)m`V'GÙºBv€æÇñ¾”ù¢‹å•®v1øÃñȍ‡­Sù—ãŒ
óßxZk«›H>iwVÑJ|›˜.ü¦•{î{ƒÞ¶üñ“NñmÛ[Ùiú„ #g̾YÎÕ'Ϗ®ü}Ó4­j]*}+U[˜§ò7tþ÷5q}MðóöMóAKÖÿ£GèדÞE}-ÜÒM/îÓsœœ  õ÷†`
¡é%Ë„6“·?óÍkã¯
Ç¥ÿûÉü}¡áxü7¤0)±Ã×vÕ­{´•%ÝšãNË»(|Hñ%߆|4š–‘§­ìñÌ‘¤b‹´ƒ“ŸlWŽZxøÂ?¨}§J¶‚Mxº^¹ŸcªÈ¾Z²“qž­Ž¼ã5è¿ ¶ÿæ11 ׫×'7\ž{WÍE’O ÛYê­Áû’ã*ã w@wvÁ¯§+™Ì©ÞÖ-øŠêêûÃ&;H –Õe‰àevãO~•Îè~/ŽßÀ:§‡þÌU®î„æä¿ Œ³š“Ã:ݽµµÜìØŒ³Í‚Iê@_ï)Ïozµqiý±$óEkoÌÁÿqoò0vçz$ã{Krà¤Õã±±ð_źg…uè.µC#Z¨!žÞGtÎ{×'âûÕÕüuy¨[$ŠïQ3£8Á*dÈϽUÖü7¯éöwº”z=ý¾’Œ¯%ÏÙÊD¬Øg˜â°lnåû}˜Ü9™2?àB…ò%M‰u9ô^k}4Go±DÌŠ™Ø2yÏ^Mz=‡ÅOZÚÃ7¶áaTDͤDü s·®Z(­±5&ì®ìt¿y»–uOkÞ1ÒÛOׯ{Më.Å…æSÇ {×?ª,µ)l­å"ªˆOLäñך(®XjÛ~_¨OD’Û_ÐÁñŒòiÛ©òXØŽŒ¿ 嶓îy®ÒÓN·ñ&c„:âV^N3ЏZ(«›|±3¦•äs0xóR]54Ãmfö8!¡“Ìu~Nr }j‡Œ|5§é~ ÑÁº™KÆ*¸#îç¥Vµ>%èe…ŸÿÙ

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
That is the raw data for the thumbnail itself. Exactly what you do with that is up to you. For example, you may wish to save that somewhere, or display it to the user, etc.

tridejur
Explorer | Level 3

JSONM stringify? .What the heck is that?. You cannot use that value in all languajes, please correct JSON decoding

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@tridejur JSON.stringify is a method specific to JavaScript. This thread is about proper client-side handling of this API call in JavaScript, so this code is only relevant to JavaScript. Plese refer to the documentation for whatever language you're using for information on how to parse/write JSON.

There wasn't an issue with the server-side JSON decoding discovered in this thread. If you believe you've encountered an issue with the the server-side JSON decoding, please report the details in a new thread.

tridejur
Explorer | Level 3

It was ust a missundrstanding in your json compiler.

tridejur
Explorer | Level 3

Since it is working as expected, please test 

http://tridejur.uy/t123.php?id=18711573&alta=2018-12-22blank13:15:12%27

And write me on 26045165, please extend my trial 30 days longer, since, I have not received any replies, I just got my credit card, but wanted to become a partner, if you decide not to provide free business account to my solution there is no problem as well but please send me a message to 26045165, createacc.bat does use create folder and upload.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@tridejur You already have an API support ticket open for this that we've been replying to. Please do not post in multiple places for the same issue. We'll continue following up with you on your ticket. Thanks!

Need more support?