cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sharing/get_folder_metadata fails with "invalid shared folder ID"

sharing/get_folder_metadata fails with "invalid shared folder ID"

NitayBachrach
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, so I tried getting the metadata of a member's shared folder (the one that I got from the members/get_info endpoint), and I got "invalid shared folder ID". 

I tired using both the user member id (with "Dropbox-API-Select-User") and the admin member id with "Dropbox-API-Select-Admin" (according to the documention its a whole team permission in this endpoind, and the documenation explictly says that whole team permission should be able to access those folders)

It's worth mentioning that I was able to get the metadata of the admin's private directory.

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Can you clarify which value from /2/team/members/get_info you're passing to /2/sharing/get_folder_metadata? The /2/team/members/get_info endpoint doesn't return shared folder information. It returns information about a particular team member.

There isn't exactly something called "a member's shared folder".  Any particular member may own or be a member of any number of shared folders, but those aren't listed by /2/team/members/get_info

What information are you looking for by attempting to do so?

If you want to list the shared folders a member has access to, you should use the /2/sharing/list_folders[/continue] endpoints.

NitayBachrach
Explorer | Level 4

Yes you're right . I mixed some things.

The user has private folders that are shared with other people.

I want to get the sharing info, and I have the shared folder id, but I metadata doesn't work...

NitayBachrach
Explorer | Level 4

I'd add that that shared_folder_id is returned by the server as "parent_shared_folder_id" when I'm enumarating the files.

I expect that that field is indeed a valid shared_folder_id.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for following up. Yes, a value from the 'parent_shared_folder_id' field should be a valid shared folder ID.

If that's not working, please share the code and output you're currently using so we can take a look. You can also share privately by opening an API ticket here if you'd prefer.

It would also probably be helpful if you include the shared folder ID value itself, but please make sure to redact the access token. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    NitayBachrach Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?