cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xcodebuild error in ObjectiveDropboxOfficial iOS build

xcodebuild error in ObjectiveDropboxOfficial iOS build

John B.41
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Can't build new 3.9.4 version of ObjectiveDropboxOfficial framework in xcodebuild. 

Message "DTDeviceKit: deviceType from 00008006-001710143AA2002E was NULL"

Finally fails to write ~/Development/App name/Carthage/Build/iOS/ObjectiveDropboxOfficial.framework:

with ErrorDomain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code:2 "No such file or directory"

Xcode 10.1, Mojave 10.14.3

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the output. I see you're just running the standard `carthage update --platform iOS` command, which is the same as what I tried.

To try to track down the issue here, can you also let me know:

• What version of `carthage` do you have installed? You can check with `carthage version`. (I tested on 0.31.2.)
  • Are you using the standard documented Cartfile? If not, what do you have?
  • Can you also try this with the same Cartfile but with a new Xcode project? If it works with a new project, there may be a project setting causing the issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you following the instructions from https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-obj-c#carthage to install the Dropbox SDK using Carthage? I just tried that with v3.9.4 of the SDK and v10.1 of Xcode, and I didn't get the error you shared here.

Can you share the exact steps you're following to reproduce this and the full output you're getting? 

"DTDeviceKit" doesn't seem to be referring to Dropbox SDK code, but we'll be happy to take a look and try to reproduce this to see if we can offer any insight.

John B.41
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Here's the Terminal output from xcodebuild:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last login: Mon Feb 25 16:31:16 on ttys000
dungannon:~ jb$ cd /Users/jb/Development/Scoring\ Machine
dungannon:Scoring Machine jb$ carthage update --platform iOS
*** Fetching dropbox-sdk-obj-c
*** Checking out dropbox-sdk-obj-c at "3.9.4"
*** xcodebuild output can be found in /var/folders/mh/qzy5xyc55mggdms80vqq29f00000gn/T/carthage-xcodebuild.5eNEJN.log
*** Building scheme "ObjectiveDropboxOfficial iOS" in ObjectiveDropboxOfficial.xcodeproj
Failed to write to /Users/jb/Development/Scoring Machine/Carthage/Build/iOS/ObjectiveDropboxOfficial.framework: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “ObjectiveDropboxOfficial.framework” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/jb/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ObjectiveDropboxOfficial-czkyzvwvvahgycguujzqvowxfoao/Build/Products/Release-iphoneos/ObjectiveDropboxOfficial.framework, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fcda49af680 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}
dungannon:Scoring Machine jb$

-------------------------------------------------------------

notice the NSFilePath in the output - expected to be in .../Build/Products/Release-iphoneos/

upon examining the contents of DerivedData for the build, the framework and its .SYM file is at .../Build/Products/Release-iphonesimulator/   !!!!  How does this happen? Xcode wasn't even running.  xcodebuild sent the build products to the wrong place (and then went looking for it at the correct location).  We're stumped.

The previous DTDeviceKit notice only appears during the build when Xcode is active.  We don't understand that either, but it may not be the cause of the ultimate error.  Thanks for following up.

John B.41
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

.... which results in a built product that doesn't include an ARM64 slice, which means it's useless for using in a ARM64-capable product.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the output. I see you're just running the standard `carthage update --platform iOS` command, which is the same as what I tried.

To try to track down the issue here, can you also let me know:

• What version of `carthage` do you have installed? You can check with `carthage version`. (I tested on 0.31.2.)
  • Are you using the standard documented Cartfile? If not, what do you have?
  • Can you also try this with the same Cartfile but with a new Xcode project? If it works with a new project, there may be a project setting causing the issue.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    John B.41 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?