cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: xmp metadata stripped from thumbnails: please fix

xmp metadata stripped from thumbnails: please fix

hrdlnk
New member | Level 2

XMP is a powerful tool when it comes to archiving images. Why does Dropbox strip the XMP data from its thumbnails? The data is kept intact in the original file, though, yet sadly it is omitted in the thumbnail version. Please fix this as pro users need this feature badly. Thanks!

4 Replies 4

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the suggestion! I've submitted this as a feature request. 

HuS
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @TaylorKrusen could you please tell me about the current status of xmp metadata? Is it still so, that Dropbox strips most Metadata from images (no support for keywords, ratings etc.)?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@HuS Yes, I believe this is still the case. This feature request is still open with the team, but I don't have any updates on it.

HuS
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Greg. I have looked around because loss of xmp data in our case clearly had meant leaving Dropbox.

To my surprise, Dropbox doesn't show all data in the browser. You have all metadata stored with the image and its intact when downloaded to a computer. Inside webbrowsers, however, xmp gets stripped altogether. I'm only curious if we can sync our images along with its metadata to another webserver ...

Obviously, it was extremely useful for Adobe-users to have access to proper metadata in the browser-version of Dropbox too, especially as Dropbox and Adobe are officially partners ...

Need more support?