cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API always returns invalid_access_token, 500 error when i go to "my apps"

API always returns invalid_access_token, 500 error when i go to "my apps"

overjeer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I understand that there was some service disruption about 10 hours ago. However, I believe this has been resolved now.

When I generate an access token using the dropbox java sdk on my Android app, it is generating an access token fine. However, when I use this access token to authorise my account and run something like dbxClientV2.getUsers().getCurrentAccount(), it always returns an error:

{"error_summary": "invalid_access_token/..", "error": {".tag": "invalid_access_token"}}

I have tried to generate several tokens and they all return the same error.

Also, when I logon as a developer and go to "My Apps" it is returning me a 500 error. Does this mean that there are some API issues?

Any help would be appreciated. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You mentioned this is for an Android app, but the DbxWebAuth you're using isn't meant for Android. The API v2 Java SDK does have specific support for Android though. There's an example Android app using it here.

- To set that up, your AndroidManifest.xml should be set up as shown here.

- You start the flow by calling startOAuth2Authentication as shown here.

- You complete the flow by calling getOAuth2Token as shown here.

- Your app can store and re-use the resulting access token for that user, as the example does here.

- Once you have an access token, you can make a client as shown here.

For the code you are currently using though, it looks like you're getting that 'invalid_access_token' error because you're supplying an authorization code, instead of an access token.

When using DbxWebAuth, you get back an "authorization code", which is not an access token. You need to exchange that authorization code for an access token, as shown here.

View solution in original post

overjeer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
thanks mate. I will give this a go and come back to you. Thanks so much for coming back so swiftly!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the report! The 500 on the web site definitely sounds like a bug on our side. We're looking into it.

For the `invalid_access_token` issue, can you share the code you're using to generate and use the access token? Thanks in advance!

overjeer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your response. Here is the code:

It is for my android app. I have to add that until friday it was working OK.

- First I redirect the user to authorise my app. This is done by redirecting them to a URL that gets generated by this code:

val request = DbxWebAuth.newRequestBuilder()
                .withDisableSignup(true)
                .withNoRedirect()
                .build()
        return mWebAuth.authorize(request)

where mWebAuth is 

mWebAuth = DbxWebAuth(mConfig, mAppInfo)

the user is redirected to a webview and if she authorises my app, a token gets generated. This token is stored and a simple command is run for verifying whether the token is valid. For this I need an instance of the DbxClientV2 so I create one:

DbxClientV2(mConfig, "token code")

Then I run the command to see whether the token generated is valid or not:

client.users()?.currentAccount

This is where I get an exception:

{"error_summary": "invalid_access_token/.", "error": {".tag": "invalid_access_token"}}

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You mentioned this is for an Android app, but the DbxWebAuth you're using isn't meant for Android. The API v2 Java SDK does have specific support for Android though. There's an example Android app using it here.

- To set that up, your AndroidManifest.xml should be set up as shown here.

- You start the flow by calling startOAuth2Authentication as shown here.

- You complete the flow by calling getOAuth2Token as shown here.

- Your app can store and re-use the resulting access token for that user, as the example does here.

- Once you have an access token, you can make a client as shown here.

For the code you are currently using though, it looks like you're getting that 'invalid_access_token' error because you're supplying an authorization code, instead of an access token.

When using DbxWebAuth, you get back an "authorization code", which is not an access token. You need to exchange that authorization code for an access token, as shown here.

overjeer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
thanks mate. I will give this a go and come back to you. Thanks so much for coming back so swiftly!

overjeer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That worked! 😄 thanks so much Greg.

Also the 500 error is gone so we can close this one. Thanks again!

By the by, I *had* forgotten a crucial step in the way I was authorising the app - to run: 

AuthFinish

I wrote my own Webview that was generating the token quite well but I think not running auth finish was detrimental to the process 🙂

cheers mate!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
We did find and resolve the issue causing the 500 late yesterday. Thanks for confirming!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    overjeer Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?