cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API v2 Optional file id

API v2 Optional file id

Thomas G.46
New member | Level 1

What reasons could a FileMetadata be returned without a file id?

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Right now, just due to various technical details on the backend, we can't guarantee that every single file will have an ID, though it should be very rare for a file not to have one. We'll be working on improving this though towards the goal of making this guaranteed. 

Joel T.9
New member | Level 2

Is there a plan to have file id's (when they are all populated) as part of the getDelta() API?

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Joel, the equivalent of `/delta` in v1 is `/files/list_folder` in v2, which does already include file IDs.

Joel T.9
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick response.

I presume that means a Java wrapper call for that is forthcoming?

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Yes, I think I recall seeing a bug earlier today that it's currently not exposed in the Java SDK. It's certainly supposed to be in there.

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Specifically, I think the missing overload is the one that allows you to pass recursive=true. If you're doing a non-recursive call, listFolder in the v2 Java SDK should already give you back file IDs.

tomdev l.
Explorer | Level 3

Is there still a chance that a file/folder retrieved through the API will not have an id?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The id field has been changed to required, so every FileMetadata/FolderMetadata object will have it now.

tomdev l.
Explorer | Level 3

That's perfect, thank's for the fast reply. I don't suppose there's any way to get the file id for a DeletedMetadata object as well?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    tomdev l. Explorer | Level 3
    Steve M. Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?