cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Android authentication

Android authentication

alca
Explorer | Level 3

In the previous api login could be performed to the device dropbox account by using the api key and the api secret, is there any way to do this with V2? What a I need is to be able to connect to diferent dropbox accounts in  V2?

12 Replies 12

alca
Explorer | Level 3

There was a mistake with the post dont know ho to edit so I follow after "accounts in" before V2.

diferent devices, if this is not possible any more, what would be the best way to implement it on V2?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The app key and secret themselves are not enough to connect to a Dropbox account, in either API v1 or API v2. 

To connect to a Dropbox account via the API, you need an "access token". You can get an access token for the user by sending the user through the OAuth app authorization flow. You can find an example implementation of doing this on Android with the API v2 Java SDK here:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-java/tree/master/examples/android

Specifically, the process is initiated here:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-java/blob/master/examples/android/src/main/java/com/dropbox/c...

And completed here:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-java/blob/master/examples/android/src/main/java/com/dropbox/c...

One difference between API v1 and API v2 is that API v2 uses OAuth 2 exclusively, where the app secret is not necessary for client-side apps, such as on Android. Only the app key is needed to start the OAuth app authorization flow and get an access token for the current user.

alca
Explorer | Level 3

Im not sure if IĀ“m doing this OK, but this is what I do and application crushes:

Auth.startOAuth2Authentication(this, this.RASVIET_APP_KEY_V2);
String accessToken = Auth.getOAuth2Token();

this is an activitie that

extends PreferenceActivity

and rasviet_app_key_v2 is my key for the app

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Are you calling startOAuth2Authentication and getOAuth2Token together like that? You should use just startOAuth2Authentication to initiate the app authorization flow. You should then later call getOAuth2Token to complete the app authorization flow in onResume. (Please refer to the samples linked in my previous post.)

Otherwise, please share the full error/output you're getting.

alca
Explorer | Level 3

I am using 3.0.3 dropbox core sdk and it doesnt find v7 in android.support.v7.app.AppCompatActivity

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Can you share the steps and code to reproduce the issue? Thanks in advance!

alca
Explorer | Level 3

In build.grade file I add this:

dependencies {

compile files('libs/dropbox-core-sdk-3.0.3.jar')
}

and add the jar with that name under the libs folder, then I create a new class just as the example with this code:

package com.rasviet.mobility.sincro;

import android.content.SharedPreferences;
import android.support.v7.app.AppCompatActivity;

import com.dropbox.core.android.Auth;

/**
* Created by Jritxal on 01/08/2017.
*/

public class DropboxActivity extends AppCompatActivity {
}

and it says it cannont resolve v7 that apears in red and so does AppCompatActivity ofc.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
It sounds like you're having trouble importing the Android support library, as opposed to Dropbox itself. I can't offer much help with that, but there's a post about it here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30803405/cannot-resolve-symbol-appcompatactivity-support-v7-libr...

By the way, it looks like you're loading the Dropbox library from the jar file, but since you're using gradle anyway, we recommend just using the setup as documented here:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-java#setup

jritxalƧ
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, finally I made it work!!

My prob now is that I suppose I need the

DbxClientV2 client;

variable to keep making calls to the api, I have declared it as public static on my main class (SyncActivity) and do this on the DropboxConnection class:

protected void loadData() {
new GetCurrentAccountTask(DropboxClientFactory.getClient(), new GetCurrentAccountTask.Callback() {
@Override
public void onComplete(FullAccount result) {
SyncActivity.client = DropboxClientFactory.getClient();
finish();
}

@Override
public void onError(Exception e) {
Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), "Failed to get account details.",
Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
}
}).execute();
}

but IĀ“m trying to use it on the onResume method of SyncActivity class to just get email addres of the user like this:

try {
if (client != null) {
FullAccount account = client.users().getCurrentAccount();
Toast.makeText(SyncActivity.this, "cliente: " + account.getEmail()+ " acc: "+account.toString(),

}
}
catch(Exception e)
{
Toast.makeText(SyncActivity.this, "Excepcion: "+e.getMessage(),
}

and Im getting an exception with message: "null"

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post