cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor max size

Cursor max size

DartVader
New member | Level 2

Hello, My plugin is like proxy for the dropbox api, and I should return some stuff. In some cases I have to return the cursor (for example when i list a folder), and sometimes it is too big. can I set the max size of it or reduce it?

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Unfortunately, it's not possible to limit the cursor size (the length depends on the amount of information it needs to encode, which will vary by account). I'll send this along as a feature request though.

VVildVVolf13
Explorer | Level 3

What does it depend on? I can respond a message for user, like "the dropbox returned too long cursor for this resource, please try to <...>", could you give me any suggestions for users?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The cursor length depends on the number of shared folders, team folders, and app folders in the account, as well as the amount of file activity. I don't recommend asking the user to modify their behavior or account to avoid this. I instead recommend updating your app to accommodate cursors of any length.

VVildVVolf13
Explorer | Level 3

Is there any limitations for max length? I want to try compression, but if  the cursor in fact can be too large - it is not a solution. Also can I use a hash of cursor when I call the api, or cursor contains any useful information for the api?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
There's no limit on the cursor length, as there's no limit on the number of files/folders that can be in an cursor. There isn't an option for compressing it, and the cursor does contain information that the API, so it's not possible to just send up a hash.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    VVildVVolf13 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?