cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Yaogang L.
New member | Level 1

I am trying to use the iOS 8 Document Picker to choose a file package from Dropbox, and edit it in-place. However, it seems that only the import and export modes are supported. When I use the open mode, Dropbox doesn't show up in the document picker.

Is this something you guys are working on?

51 Replies 51

Florian K.
New member | Level 1

Hi Dropbox team, i would also love to have this implemented. Please give us a status update on the Topic!

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox doesnt release Road Maps I'm afraid guys. Unfortunately you, like us, will first know about any new developments if/when they launch. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6

I too have been asking for this feature since I saw Apple demo it at their keynote when it was announced.  It is very surprising that DropBox haw not jumped on the case as it will make the whole task of managing and working on files stored within DB a million times easier.

i realise DB don't release road maps but surely a statement on whether we are likely to see this functionality added could be achieved?

Please DropBox!!!!

Stan L.2
New member | Level 1

I just want to echo what everyone else is saying, this is a really needed piece of functionality on the Dropbox app. It is the primary reason I continue to use iCloud Drive for some things, and why I also continue to use OneDrive too. Having legitimate iOS support for Open from the file picker would let me abandon both of those other products entirely and make it so much easier to use the apps I know and love. Please give this very basic functionality to us consumers!

yood
New member | Level 1

+1. I'm moving my workflows to the iPad Pro and this is a big blocker for me. I've never considered Dropbox's competitors before, but now I'm looking at box.com and others.

Bojan S.
Helpful | Level 5

I jave no idea what is there to look into when it comes to this simple option implemented by every cloud storage app for iOS out there. It's has to be a side effect of the Microsoft deal, which is especially weird, since MS apps for iOS got fantastic recently. On the other hand, the Dropbox app is stagnating with the lack of almost every sensible iOS feature upgrade in the last 2 years. Let me, for haven's sake, open, edit and save documents from every app, and use the Dropbox app in split screen. It isn't like you'll earn less money if you make your iOS customers happy.

Karl W.2
New member | Level 1

I can't believe Dropbox hasn't done this yet.

Truly, this company has become out-of-touch with its users. This is essential, core Dropbox functionality. It's a small thing, but one of the biggest and most important advances Dropbox could possibly make!

- Why do you want to sync documents to the cloud? Because multiple devices.

- Which devices usually don't have all your files? Your phone/tablet.

With this change, users would be able to open and edit documents stored in Dropbox indistinguishably from local files. It's a godsend for Dropbox! They literally could not have asked Apple for a bigger push! And Apple actually delivered for this specific case!

I haven't seen anybody say there's a technical hurdle. It's like Dropbox just can't be arsed, and is happy to have us copying files around every time. In the case, I can't be arsed with Dropbox.

Ignoring such a big, often-requested feature for so long, is approaching hostility towards your users IMO. You couldn't make it more obvious at that point that you don't care about how the good the product is or how nice it is to use.

You know why I started using Dropbox in the first place? Seamless integration with the native filesystem. It looks like I'm going to stop using it for the same reason.

Alan S.22
New member | Level 2

Looks like Apple is adding the ability to download files on demand in iCloud Drive. Since my household is basically using Apple products I might be switching everything on iCloud Drive just for this feature, even if I still have 14 more months of Dropbox Pro for free.

Very disappointed with Dropbox.

Chris D.37
New member | Level 1

It is really surprising that Dropbox doesn't have these basic technologies implemented yet, which were first introduced in iOS 8?  If Dropbox doesn't catch up to the other providers by the end of the year (when my sub runs out) I will be looking at other alternatives.  I love Dropbox, but it just doesn't work the way it needs to on iOS.  Too bad 😞

Thomas M.71
New member | Level 1

Same here, Im reluctant to switch our whole company to Dropbox because of this one ... And the lack of answer from Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Neil T.9 Helpful | Level 6
    Frank I.2 New member | Level 1
    Thomas M.71 New member | Level 1
    Chris D.37 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?