cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading file with Swiftydropbox

Downloading file with Swiftydropbox

rabbigarfinkel
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have successfully installed Swiftydropbox and my app successfully registers with Dropbox.  But I don't understand what to do now if I want to download from a Dropbox. My goal is to download a text file into a URL and then open that URL in a tableview.

I think where I'm having trouble understanding the docs is this line:

client.files.download(path: "/test/path/in/Dropbox/account", overwrite: true, destination: destination)

What goes in place of /test/path/in/Dropbox/account?  For instance, how would I get the app to download something from my own account?

Thank you,

Eli

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That code doesn't list or display any files. It only downloads a file at "/Documents/RamKolText2.txt".

If you want to get a list of files to display to the user, you can use listFolder and listFolderContinue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Moved to the API forum.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That path should be the remote path of the file in the connected Dropbox that you want to download. For example, to get a file named "example.txt" in a folder named "Documents", you would supply "/Documents/example.txt".

If you're getting metadata about files from the API, this would be the "pathLower" property of a FileMetadata object.

rabbigarfinkel
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you.  The problem is that I would not know the filepath of a user's selected file.  In the code below, what line is supposed to trigger the display of the user's files so that the user can tap on a file and return that path to my app?

// Download to URL
        let fileManager = FileManager.default
        let directoryURL = fileManager.urls(for: .documentDirectory, in: .userDomainMask)[0]
        let destURL = directoryURL.appendingPathComponent("/Documents/RamKolText2.txt")
        let destination: (URL, HTTPURLResponse) -> URL = { temporaryURL, response in
            return destURL
        }
        client.files.download(path: "/Documents/RamKolText2.txt", overwrite: true, destination: destination)
            .response { response, error in
                if let response = response {
                    print(response)
                } else if let error = error {
                    print(error)
                }
            }
            .progress { progressData in
                print(progressData)
        }

Thanks! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That code doesn't list or display any files. It only downloads a file at "/Documents/RamKolText2.txt".

If you want to get a list of files to display to the user, you can use listFolder and listFolderContinue.

AbrahamEP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem. It took me so long to find the answer for that, really it was overwhelming because there isn't much info about it. I did this: 

I'm sorry for my english, is not my first language.

Install Dropbox Chooser https://www.dropbox.com/developers/chooser#ios 

Install SwiftyDropbox

SwiftyDropbox installs Alamofire, we need this to download the file, if not then install it 

Dropbox Chooser allow the user select any file from their dropbox account and returns the shared link of the selected file so: 

//Ask SwiftyDropbox if the user is logged in

if DropboxClientsManager.authorizedClient != nil{

// Use this from Dropbox chooser to open a view controller that allow the user select the file

//DBChooserLinkTypeDirect <--- it has to be this parameter, there is another one but is useless for our purpose

DBChooser.default().open(for: DBChooserLinkTypeDirect, from: self, completion: { (results) in

//Here starts the completion block of Chooser

if let resultado = results{ //Obtain the results 

var d = DBChooserResult() //Create a variable of DBChooserResult type

d = resultado[0] as! DBChooserResult //Get the result. Just one result because the user just can select ONE file (in this version just one, it may be more but I don't know how in this moment

print(d.name)

print(d.link)//The atributte link give us the url to download the file. If you paste it in your browser the download starts right away

Use Alamofire to download the file from the url

Alamofire.request(d.link).responseData { response in

//Get the data from the URL

if let data = response.result.value

{

//Here we have the data to do whatever we want, in my case I show the PDF file in a WebView

print("Data de Alamofire \(response.description)")

self.desplegarUrlEnWebview(datos: data, url: d.link)

}

}

}

})

}else{

//If the user is not logged in we use SwiftyDropbox to log in

DropboxClientsManager.authorizeFromController(UIApplication.shared, controller: self, openURL: { (url) in

UIApplication.shared.open(url, options: [:], completionHandler: nil)

})

}

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AbrahamEP New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    rabbigarfinkel Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?