cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox android sdk 1.6.3 supports v2 or not.?

Dropbox android sdk 1.6.3 supports v2 or not.?

Kapil22
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have developed android app with Dropbox android sdk 1.6.3 and it uses startoauth2 for authorisation purpose. Now I am bit confused if I am already working with Dropbox Api v2 or changes are required in app to make it compatible with v2?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Android Core SDK v1.6.3 you're using uses API v1, which is deprecated, so you should migrate to API v2. To use API v2 in Android, you should use the API v2 Java SDK.

(The OAuth version is not the same as the API version. API v1 supports both OAuth 1 and OAuth 2. API v2 supports OAuth 2 only.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Android Core SDK v1.6.3 you're using uses API v1, which is deprecated, so you should migrate to API v2. To use API v2 in Android, you should use the API v2 Java SDK.

(The OAuth version is not the same as the API version. API v1 supports both OAuth 1 and OAuth 2. API v2 supports OAuth 2 only.)

Kapil22
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My confusion is that if I have used oauth2(v2 supports oauth2) for creating and storing session, then do I still need to update my sdk?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Yes, while existing OAuth 2 access tokens can be used with API v2, the Android Core SDK only makes API v1 calls, so you need to update to the API v2 Java SDK.

sthigale
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Greg, I feel DropBox team should delete the page https://www.dropbox.com/developers-v1/core/sdks/android

Since it is very misleading. This SDK is going to be deprecated after a month and have been replaced with newer SDK. But the does not even mention that.

Greg, please help developers.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@sthigale There should be a warning banner at the top of that page indicating that API v1 is deprecated with a link to more information. That is showing up properly for me. Is it not showing for you?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    sthigale Explorer | Level 4
    Kapil22 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?