cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File lock feature & Properties API

File lock feature & Properties API

23W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This topic continues my previous question Properties API. I tried to continue conversation there but, for some reason, my comments are not published. So I decided to start new conversation.

I will explain why I need the custom properties (Properties API). My application uses Dropbox as cloud storage for user files and requires file's lock feature (like in Box cloud). For example when some file shared between several users only one user can edit it and others can only view it content. Without lock feature it's not feasible. I thought to add lock information as custom properties value, but this feature should be available for any user accounts (not only in some team) because user can share folder for any Dropbox account.

After reading the documentation and Greg answer I understood that Properties API is accessible only for teams. Because before add properties to file, my application should register properties template.  And although properties can be used by any user type (they require only "User Authentication"), Templates are created at the team level only (for template registration the "Team Authentication" is required). So only users of same team can use properties with same template. Or not? Can somebody clarify this question?

If only same team users can use properties with same template, it's unacceptable for me. Maybe there is some other technique for implement lock feature. For example Dropbox Badge implements lock feature that is very similar to my requirements. And, as I know, Dropbox Badge can work with any accounts (not in same team) or not? Can you explain this moment.

Thanks in advance, I'll wait any helpful answers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Only team members can update the file properties on a file using one of the team's property templates. Non-team members that are members of a shared folder can view the properties for a file they have access to, but they can't update it. Note that this feature is in beta though, so it is subject to change.

In any case, this wasn't designed to enable file locking exactly, so I wouldn't recommend using it for that. We'll consider this a feature request for file locking though.

The Dropbox badge feature is not limited to members of the same team.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Only team members can update the file properties on a file using one of the team's property templates. Non-team members that are members of a shared folder can view the properties for a file they have access to, but they can't update it. Note that this feature is in beta though, so it is subject to change.

In any case, this wasn't designed to enable file locking exactly, so I wouldn't recommend using it for that. We'll consider this a feature request for file locking though.

The Dropbox badge feature is not limited to members of the same team.

23W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, I'll wait lock feature or some API that allow to implement lock.

WilliamT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm new to Dropbox, a user for less than two weeks, and my team and I have already run into the problem of simultaneous edits to a file by two team members wasting time and causing comfusion.  The ability to "check out" a file for editing would be greatly appreciated.  Any suggestions or tips on how teams have managed this?  

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@WilliamT This thread is posted in the "API development" section, and is meant for programmers in particular. For non-programmer inquiries, you may be better suited in a different section, such as Find answers > Sharing and collaboration.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    WilliamT New member | Level 2
    23W Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?