cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File size limit with save_url?

File size limit with save_url?

Orla_h
New member | Level 2

I'm using the DropboxClient.SaveUrl method. Is there any file size limit when Dropbox goes to upload the file from the location?

9 Replies 9

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The SaveUrl functionality doesn't have a file size limit, but the download operations on the Dropbox servers do time out after 5 minutes. So, if it takes longer than 5 minutes to transfer the file from the URL to the Dropbox servers, the file won't be saved.

tristanlesaca
Explorer | Level 3
I'm using SaveUrl too to upload a 69 MB file but it is not uploaded to my Dropbox. It works when I'm uploading a smaller file

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@tristanlesaca What error or output do you get?

tristanlesaca
Explorer | Level 3
There is no error, the file just doesn't get uploaded to my Dropbox. Perhaps its because of the 5 min time out. Anyway, I used the files/upload endpoint instead of /save_url and it works with large files now. But hopefully there is a way to continue using /save_url with large files without the servers timing out. Or perhaps something similar to /upload_session using save_url.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You should be able to use save_url. If you're not getting an error, what is being returned? It should be a job ID that you can check with save_url/check_job_status. Please share the result so we can look into it.

tristanlesaca
Explorer | Level 3
/save_url/check_job_status returns in_progress. And small files upload perfectly. But again, I think its the 5 minute time out that prevents the file from uploading.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
If you call /save_url/check_job_status again to check later (e.g., after at most 5 minutes) it should return either information about the successfully saved file, or an error message indicating the issue. Can you call again and check what you get?

zconq
Explorer | Level 3

I'm also having some download failures using the the save_url endpoint. (I'm checking job status after 5 seconds and they've already failed.) 

{
  ".tag": "failed",
  "failed": {
    ".tag": "download_failed"
  }
}

In a batch of 6, between 0 and 3 will fail seemingly at random.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you're seeing these fail quickly, please open an API ticket with a sample we can reproduce the issue with so we can look into it:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact

Thanks in advance! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    zconq Explorer | Level 3
    tristanlesaca Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?