cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FileMetadata.Rev not working as expected for binary files

FileMetadata.Rev not working as expected for binary files

Eeedgar
New member | Level 2

I have hit an issue when using the Dropbox API in c# - which in general is excellent.  Binary files that have not changed are always updated online if they are recreated but the content has not changed.   

I found over in the general user area of the forum this thread (Problems-with-100s-of-files-syncing-even-though-they-haven-t/m-p) which is the same issue I think that is occurring more generally for all Dropbox users. 

To narrow the issue down a bit, when uploading a text file, Dropbox correctly identifies that the file has not changed and does not revise the version online.

When uploading binary files (e.g. zip files), the API doesn't see that the files are the same and updates the file online to the "new" version.  I had a quick look at a tiny 340 byte zip file and they look to be identical at the byte level.  I'm going to work around this for now and stop binary uploads when the file size with the current live version has not changed, but this is obviously less than ideal and is going to create some (unlikely) edge case issues with the application I'm developing.  I'm using the API for c# version 4.2.0.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just that I'm perhaps not using the API correctly? 

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II
Eeedgar, this is still not the API forum so wont be seen 🙂

Dont worry, I'll move it for you

*moves to API forum*

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the report. Can you share the code you're using to reproduce this, and the output you're getting? Specifically, the returned metadata for the two versions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?