cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate File List in Excel VBA using Dropbox API

Generate File List in Excel VBA using Dropbox API

Rammiz O.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there:

I would like to create a list of all files in Dropbox in Excel using Excel VBA and Dropbox API. This should include all file information include Checksums.

NOTE: The actual Dropbox Desktop client will NOT be installed and the files in my Dropbox are (therefore) NOT synchronised to my computer.

This will allow me to then compare in Excel files that sit on any physical hard disk I own (again using Excel and File List import features NATIVE to Excel) to what's sitting in Dropbox (now listed in Excel) and delete what I have on hard disks.

Makes sense? 🙂

Appreciate any help you can offer!

Cheers

Rammiz

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You could use the Dropbox API to list files and folders without having the desktop client installed, e.g., using API v2 /files/list_folder. However, the API doesn't currently offer any sort of file hash or checksum. I'll send this along as a feature request though.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The Dropbox API now offers a hash of file data that you can use to verify a file's contents. You can find it in FileMetadata.content_hash. It isn't a single MD5 or SHA1, but rather a combination of SHA256 hashes of the pieces of the file. You can find more information here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/content-hash
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?