cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the shared link using the deprecated GetSharedLinksAsync(path)

Getting the shared link using the deprecated GetSharedLinksAsync(path)

Gonzo345
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there!

I'm facing problems retrieving a shared link which is already created. I'm basically trying to "create" the Shared Link every time I upload a file and storing that URL on a DB but I'm stuck on the "shared_link_aready_exists" part.

I'm using the .NET API and I tried to use the

DropboxClient.Sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsAsync(remotePath);

but even if the file is being overwritten, if it already has a Shared Link created, it will give the "shared_link_already_exists" return, stopping there.

I've been taking a look at the API and looks like

DropboxClient.Sharing.GetSharedLinksAsync(remotePath)

is my method, but it only works if the link is already created. And poorly, this method is deprecated, so it will surely stop working anytime...

I guess there is a way to control that but I'm in a point that I don't move forward. Could anybody help me? Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If a shared link already exists for a file or folder, you can use ListSharedLinksAsync with path as the path to the desired file or folder and directOnly=true to get the existing link.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If a shared link already exists for a file or folder, you can use ListSharedLinksAsync with path as the path to the desired file or folder and directOnly=true to get the existing link.

Gonzo345
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi again, Greg the Dropmaster! Thank you so much, I finally did it this way, so I control if the link is already created and act if so :slight_smile:

var link = await dbx.Sharing.ListSharedLinksAsync(remoteFilePath);
 if(link.Links.Count == 0)
 {
var result = await dbx.Sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsAsync(remoteFilePath); string url = result.Url; Console.WriteLine("The url for sharing " + remoteFilePath + " is: " + url); } else { string url = link.Links[0].Url; Console.WriteLine("(ALREADY GENERATED) The url for sharing " + remoteFilePath + " is: " + url); }

You made my friday, Greg! :sunglasses: 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gonzo345 Helpful | Level 5
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?