cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a path to a Dropbox file in order to use the files_download function in python?

How to get a path to a Dropbox file in order to use the files_download function in python?

jundo
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

As a real newbye in python I'm trying to download a single file from my dropbox account.

I've got the Dropbox token and written such a function:

def download_file():
        dbx = dropbox.Dropbox(DROPBOXTOKEN)
        # Check that the access token is valid
        try:
            dbx.users_get_current_account()
        except AuthError as err:
            sys.exit("ERROR: Invalid access token; try re-generating an access token from the app console on the web.")
        with open("//", "w") as f:
            metadata, res = dbx.files_download(path=DROPPATH)
            f.write(res.content)

As far as I can understand, the only data I need are DROPBOXTOKEN (i've got) and DROPPATH (the full pathh to the file in Dropbox space.  Is it true? How can I get the DROPPATH ? Can I get it accessing my web Dropbox  account (if not, how can I do?)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, that's all that is required. The path would be the remote path to the desired file inside the Dropbox account. For example, for a file named "myfile.txt" inside a folder named "Documents", the path would be "/documents/myfile.txt".

You can also get these values from the API, e.g., using files_list_folder and files_list_folder_continue. (Call files_list_folder with the path "" to list the root.) You would use the resulting Metadata.path_lower for the desired file.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, that's all that is required. The path would be the remote path to the desired file inside the Dropbox account. For example, for a file named "myfile.txt" inside a folder named "Documents", the path would be "/documents/myfile.txt".

You can also get these values from the API, e.g., using files_list_folder and files_list_folder_continue. (Call files_list_folder with the path "" to list the root.) You would use the resulting Metadata.path_lower for the desired file.

jundo
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That is it!

I wrongly wrote the pathname with backslash (doubled of course),..

Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jundo Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?