cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to copy file by id and specify filename

Is it possible to copy file by id and specify filename

Brian S.53
Explorer | Level 3

I'm using the copy_v2 endpoint and I see that you can pass in file ids instead of paths, but is it possible to update the filename at the same time?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
If you're referring to the file specified in 'from_path', not the copy_v2 endpoint doesn't offer a way to simultaneously rename that one.

If you're referring to the file specified in 'to_path', you can either specify a path with the destination path and name you want, or specify a file ID along with 'autorename:true' to have Dropbox automatically rename the resulting copy, since the file ID would already refer to something anyway.

Brian S.53
Explorer | Level 3

I was able to solve this by setting to_path = parentFileId/fileName

As a follow up, are there any plans to make the create_folder endpoint work with file ids in the same way, for instance, by setting path = parentFileId/fileName?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

I'm not aware of any plans to update create_folder to support file ID-relative paths like that, but I'll pass this along as a feature request.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Brian S.53 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?