cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No error message with line feed in json header

No error message with line feed in json header

Grivus
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello!

During using API I found weird behaviour of dropbox: when sending the new upload request (v2), if there is a 0xA (line feed) character in the end of Dropbox-API-Arg header, server will send correct metadata as response, but the file content from request will not be processed. The size field in metadata will be always 0 and the empty file will be created. 

I wonder if I could receive some error message from server instead, like "Can not parse JSON" that I have in other cases. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! That's helpful.

It sounds like the issue is that the extra line feed is making its way into the HTTP request itself. When the resulting HTTP request is interpreted, that extra new line is interpreted as separating the headers from the body, causing the unexpected file data.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to detect and handle that on our side, so do make sure you don't put that in on your side.

Whatever HTTP client you're using doesn't seem to catch this for you, but some HTTP libraries apparently do. For example, the Python requests library stops you from doing this by throwing a "ValueError: Invalid header value" exception.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Can you share the code to reproduce this? Thanks in advance!

Grivus
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Some sample code:

string test = "{\"mode\":\"overwrite\",\"path\":\"/testFile.txt\"}";

// Adding the line feed to end of the api-args

// Of cource, I am not adding this intentionally, that character will be in the end of the string from some Json parsing class
test += 0xA;

// set this to api-args

string dropboxApiHeader = "Dropbox-API-Arg: ";

request.SetHeader(dropboxApiHeader + test);

// correctly fill all other headers 

// fill data-binary content

request.SetData("Test text!");

// sending request

request.Send();

And here is what I will get in response:

{"name": "testFile.txt", "path_lower": "/testFile.txt", "path_display": "/testFile.txt","id": Some Id, "client_modified": Some time, "server_modified": Some time, "rev": Some Rev,"size": 0, "content_hash": Some hash}

If I cut out the 0xA from the end of the dropbox-args, then data will be written correctly and size will be not 0. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! That's helpful.

It sounds like the issue is that the extra line feed is making its way into the HTTP request itself. When the resulting HTTP request is interpreted, that extra new line is interpreted as separating the headers from the body, causing the unexpected file data.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to detect and handle that on our side, so do make sure you don't put that in on your side.

Whatever HTTP client you're using doesn't seem to catch this for you, but some HTTP libraries apparently do. For example, the Python requests library stops you from doing this by throwing a "ValueError: Invalid header value" exception.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Grivus Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?