cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No support for iOS < 9 in Dropbox V2 API for Objective-C???

No support for iOS < 9 in Dropbox V2 API for Objective-C???

Steve L.32
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Objective-C App on iOS simulator fails during authentication using an iOS 8 taget but works with iOS 10:

dyld: Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_SFSafariViewController

I wasn't aware that iOS < 9 was not longer supported, but this appears to be the case as this class arrived in iOS 9.  If true will adjust deployment target accordingly.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, we dropped support for iOS 8 support in v3.0.12. We had to do so to support some changes to the authorization flow. There's more information in the release log.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, we dropped support for iOS 8 support in v3.0.12. We had to do so to support some changes to the authorization flow. There's more information in the release log.

Steve L.32
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
OK, thanks, project and my release notes updated.

808phone
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Wow, this is too bad. I have an app that still proudly runs on the first iPad with iOS5. It is still fully functional and works well. With V2 and especially this change, the entire dropbox implementation will be useless. At the very least I was thinking maybe I could update just the dropbox part, but I guess not.

808phone
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So the dropbox app will not work either I gather? So anyone not running iOS9 is out of luck with dropbox?

Stephen C.14
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You're correct, Dropbox iOS app only supports iOS 9, so yes, anyone not running iOS 9 will not be able to use Dropbox.

But it's important to consider that this is an increasingly diminishing fraction of users. Less than 3% of users are on iOS 8 and less than 2% are on all other versions of iOS according to Apple.

808phone
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks but this is pretty depressing. It has been such a reliable and great storage service for the older iPads. Really sorry to see it go.

Hank66
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

To the application engineers of Dropbox. Apple is forcing people to throw away perfectly good phones and pollute our environment and cost people a lot of money all to maintain their profit level. Please make an iOS 8 compatible version of Dropbox so we can keep using our phones. Thank you

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Hank66 Thanks for the additional feedback!

Hank66
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
That amounts to over 30 million iOS 8 users that no longer have access to Dropbox.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hank66 Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Tantara1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?