cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Objective C Framework Install

Objective C Framework Install

AppleGG
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having some major issues here. I see there have been recent updates. I don't use GitHub or Carthage. Just trying to get something working. My question is whether or not I really need to imbed the subproject? Or does the compiled framework contain everything I need to add to my project?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AppleGG
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

FYI. I was finally able to extract what I needed from DBRoulette and got it working. My file handler is now able to connect, navigate folders, add a folder, delete file/folder, download, and upload. Got a few more test ahead, but the basics appear to be working.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the post! We don't offer the API v2 Objective-C SDK as a direct .framework download, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

You can find the three supported installation methods in the documentation here:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-obj-c#sdk-distribution

We recommend using a package manager like CocoaPods or Carthage as it manages dependencies for you, and makes updating to newer versions of libraries in the future easier.

If you're running in to any issues with any of the supported installations methods, please let us know the details so we can look into it and help.

AppleGG
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That wasn't exactly the question. I downloaded the package and did a compile on the source  to get the framework. Once that's done, can I get by with just adding the resulting compiled framework to my project? I tried that, but I'm getting some linker errors. It complains about architectures.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If you want to build and add the framework directly, there are a few extra steps you'll need to do. You can find the instructions for that method here:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-obj-c#manually-add-subproject

Please try those out and let us know if you're still running in to any issues. If so, please share the full output you're getting.

AppleGG
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You are still not giving me a direct answer. I downloaded the project from GitHub as a zip, compiled the framework, and added the framework to my own project. Should this be adequate? Or do I have to embed it as a subproject to make it work?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No, I don't believe that would be sufficient. You'll need to follow the instructions here:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-obj-c#manually-add-subproject

AppleGG
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

And therein lies the problem. I don't use repositories, nor do I want to. I've already replaced all my Dropbox support code, updated the info.plist, etc. Why isn't there a simple SDK framwork I can just download, add to my project, and start testing my code without going through all of this?

At this point, I'm so fustrated with it, that if I didn't already have the older Dropbox support in my apps, I would just forget the whole thing. This is taking way too much of my time.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the feedback! I'll send this along to the team as a request for a .framework download that you can add like this, but I can't promise if or when that would be added.

AppleGG
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

FYI. I was finally able to extract what I needed from DBRoulette and got it working. My file handler is now able to connect, navigate folders, add a folder, delete file/folder, download, and upload. Got a few more test ahead, but the basics appear to be working.

David M.301
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I will most likely have to drop support for Dropbox until they release a .framework to add to my project. Are there any updates on a .framework release for objective c?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    mms Helpful | Level 6
    jplw New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?