cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename files without losing any versions

Rename files without losing any versions

Andry1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello. I'm trying to rename the files as follows (.Net):
using (var dbx = new DropboxClient(user.DropboxAccessToken))
{
await dbx.Files.MoveAsync(string.Format("/{0}/{1}", pathWithoutName, oldName), string.Format("/{0}/{1}", pathWithoutName, newName), true, true);
}
As a result, I lose the version of the file.
Can I rename the files without losing any versions?
Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Unfortunately, there isn't currently a good solution here. After you move/rename a file, listing the revisions at the new path won't show the old revisions.

As a workaround though, you can call to list the revisions at the previous path, and they will still be there.

Andry1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the answer.
If the file is renamed, say, three times. I want to see all revisions. To this end, I have to send requests to the three paths to unite them and display them. Do I understand correctly?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
That's correct.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The API now offers the ability to list file revisions across moves/renames, by using the file ID. In the .NET SDK, that's available via the ListRevisions method. You can find more information in the documentation:

https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-sdk-dotnet/html/M_Dropbox_Api_Files_Routes_FilesUserRoutes_ListRev...
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Andry1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?