cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saver timeout on some files, no intermediate progress

Saver timeout on some files, no intermediate progress

TimL
Explorer | Level 4

I just implemented dropbox Saver on our site, and I'm having some trouble.

I tested with two files:

The first file is about 12MB and downloads from the provided URL to the dropbox account successfully in about 5 seconds.

The second file is about 20MB and times out after 5 minutes.

I manually tested both URLs (in incognito mode on Chrome) and both resolve properly.  The bigger file takes about 30-40 seconds to download from the URL to my laptop.

Strangely, when downloading the file that successfully downloads, I get a progress indicator every few seconds from the progress event.  The progress starts at 0, every few seconds I get another progress of 0, and then at the end I get a progress of 1.  It's never anything in between 0 and 1.  Is there a way to get decimals showing progress between 0 and 1, such as 0.25 when the progress is at 25%?

When I download the files from the server directly to my browser, I get a download progress bar in my browser, so I'm pretty sure the server is reporting the size of the file in some manner.

Here is my code for reporting progress:

progress: function(progress) { 

console.log("Dropbox Progress", progress * 100);

}

Thanks for the help!

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Can you share the full error you're getting for the time out failure?

For the progress issue, the expected behavior is float values between 0 and 1, so we'll look into it.

TimL
Explorer | Level 4

I tried it again tonight - with no code changes, with the same user account, the same dropbox account, the same files - and the timeout didn't happen.  Strange.  It concerns me that the behaviour is not consistent - and I'm not confident that this is resolved.  We'll wait and see.

Let me know what you find out about the progress detail.  Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks! I'll follow up here once I have an update for you.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
By the way, we did find an issue that could cause a timeout error like that. That should be fixed now.

I don't have an update on the progress issue yet.

TimL
Explorer | Level 4

Any news on getting progress events from dropbox saver?  I tried it again and it's still doing the same thing - lots of progress events with a value of 0, followed by a final progress event with a value of 1.  No fractional numbers indicating actual progress.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
I don't have an update on this yet. I'll follow up here once I do.

TimL
Explorer | Level 4

It looks like the progress-always-at-zero bug has been around for almost 2 years - https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-support/download-or-saving-progress-alwayes-quot-0-quot-using-dr...

Is there any update on this?  

If we can't get this fixed soon, can the documentation be updated to tell other deverlopers that the progress feature is broken?

Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for checking in. I don't have an update on this yet unfortunately. I'll check in with the team, and ask them to document this.

TimL
Explorer | Level 4

Any update on this bug?  It was first reported back in July 2015, so it's been a known issue for about 2.5 years now.

I'd love to finish building out dropbox support for my client, but this bug is preventing me from deploying.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    TimL Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?