cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web based Data Upload API from Company Website Portal to a dedicated Dropbox Account

Web based Data Upload API from Company Website Portal to a dedicated Dropbox Account

Adam S.7
New member | Level 2

Hi, I am developing a new business and a key element is very large data transfers from external locations back into the office.  We are planning on using dropbox as it has always been super reliable for us.

My question is (being a non developer), does the dropbox api allow someone to develop their own upload portal so the data is always saved to a specific drop box account (i.e. our business account), and 2ndly can you automatically generate folders and naming conventions based on structure rules in the upload process from a web based portal. (i.e automatically create a folder with the next project number in it?)

Appreciate any help, as if this is possible, i'll be looking for some support to achieve this.

Thanks

Adam

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Yes, while the API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files, it is technically possible to connect and upload to just one account. The SDKs don't offer explicit support for it and we don't usually recommend doing so, for various technical and security reasons. (Most of these concerns are generally allayed for server-side apps though, e.g., web apps.)

However if you did want to go this route, instead of kicking off the authorization flow, you would manually use an existing access token for your account and app. (Just be careful not to revoke it, e.g. via https://www.dropbox.com/account/connected_apps .)

The Dropbox API does also offer the ability to create new folders with arbitrary names.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?