cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webhooks delay - recommended wait time?

Webhooks delay - recommended wait time?

robhaswell
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, in reference to this: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-support/Webhooks-delay/td-p/145062

We're using include_media_info=true, and our strategy is going to be to action each webhook twice - immediately, and after a small number of seconds.

My question is what would a recommended number of seconds to wait before doing the second action would be? 5 seconds, 10 seconds? Do you have any metrics on this historical value over time?

Many thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Unfortunately I don't have any specific metrics to share, nor is there a good value I can recommend. This delay will vary by account, and even over time for the same account, as it depends on how much file activity there is in the account.

You may want to try a few values to see what works well for the users of your app in particular. Apologies I can't be of more help!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Unfortunately I don't have any specific metrics to share, nor is there a good value I can recommend. This delay will vary by account, and even over time for the same account, as it depends on how much file activity there is in the account.

You may want to try a few values to see what works well for the users of your app in particular. Apologies I can't be of more help!

robhaswell
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Greg, unfortunately we list a lot of accounts and I can't think of a way to accurately identify a miss. Perhaps you could begin tracking this metric so you can advise on a range in future?

Also, would it be possible to think about moving the webhook to the end of your processing pipeline to resolve this problem altogether?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for following up. I'll certainly send this along as a request to track some metrics around this to share, but I can't make any promises.

Also, my understanding of the relevant backend systems here is that it unfortunately
wouldn't be a simple fix like that to reconcile the webhook notifications and include_media_info availability.

robhaswell
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
OK! Thanks for the honest answer.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

robhaswell Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?