cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does Obj-C Library Code Recompile when building for release?

Why Does Obj-C Library Code Recompile when building for release?

Robert S.138
Helpful | Level 7

I noticed that when I make a change to my code and build for debug, only my code gets recompiled.  But when I build for Distribution, either for the App Store or for Ad Hoc distribution, the entire 800+ files in the Offical Objective C Dropbox Library gets recompiled.  It is not too much of a bother since I don't build for distribution that often, but it does take almost a minute on my Mac Mini, whereas by app alone takes only a few seconds.  I am using CoCo Pods to handle the Obj-C library, according to the Dropbox installation instructions.

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'm not familiar enough with the Xcode build system to say confidently what the issue may be, but there's a post here about an issue that sounds like this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39588223/xcode-8-recompiling-complete-code-everytime

I'll ask the team to review this though.

Robert S.138
Helpful | Level 7

That problem is close, but has one major difference.  In their case the full recompile happens with every kind of build.  In my case the recompile only happens when I build for release (using Archive).  When I build for debug, the Dropbox library does not recompile.  As I said it is a small issue since I am almost always building for debug,  and there is no issue there.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert S.138 Helpful | Level 7
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?