Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are you deprecating v1?

21 Comments
13 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

Why are you deprecating v1?

You might give some justification for loading your developers with a pile of work!

21 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Why are you deprecating v1?

Hi James, the API v2 launch blog post has details on some of the improvements and new functionality that API v2 offers:

https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2015/11/dropbox-api-v2-launches-today/

Hope this helps! 

Level 1

The addition of improvements and new functionality and a new API is fine, but it is not of itself a justification for removing a previous API. You should not force developers to completely change their stable and tested code, risking introduction of bugs,  if they don't need the new features.

The publication of an API is a commitment to preserve it in perpetuity unless some very good reason requires a change to it.

Level 2

I totally agree with James!

Level 1

By shutting down the V1 API completely, any un-maintained application which uses Dropbox which is still working fine will stop to work (I suspect Android has a lot of examples of this).

This sounds like a very good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Level 2

I was caught today by this and never received an email!

Asked the team when did them contacted me about this.

My app is not working and I have to stop everything I am doing to fix this immediately!

Dropboxer

@wggley I'm sorry to hear this caught you off guard. We did send emails to developers notifying them of this starting last year, but it sounds like those unfortunately did not make it to you. If you haven't already, you can open an API ticket to request an extension.

Level 2

How can I do that?

Dropboxer

@wggley You can open an API ticket here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact

Level 2

I opened a ticket, could you please look into it for me?
Thanks