cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

link to a folder

link to a folder

Simon_C
New member | Level 2

I am working on using Dropbox Business integrated with a corporate application. When we share a folder with a member of staff, I need to provide a link to the folder that will work, even if they rename or move the folder. Is this possible?

The folders are inside a team folder, and are shared only with members of staff  - a general share via URL would be counter-productive here as it could potentially expose commercially senstive information.

Is this possible?

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
*moves to API forum*

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

We don't offer a way to "deep link" to any particular file or folder, while accomodating for different folder structures across accounts, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request. 

You can programmatically create a shared link while still enforcing "team only" access control though. To do so, you'd use /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings and set settings.requested_visibility.team_only:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#sharing-create_shared_link_with_...

Simon_C
New member | Level 2

I'm not sure that's exactly what I need though - I need to be able to lock the permissions down to a single Dropbox group - if it opens it up to the whole organisation then that's much too wide for the purposes for which I need it.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Simon, thanks for clarifying. I just took a closer look at this and I believe the SharedFolderMetadata.preview_url will actually work the way you want in this case. (Apologies I didn't think of that in my earlier reply.)

That is, you can call /2/sharing/list_folders[/continue] to list the shared folders in an account, or /2/sharing/get_folder_metadata to get a specific one, and get the returned SharedFolderMetadata.preview_url for the desired folder. That link will actually properly resolve for any member of the shared folder, e.g., even if they moved the shared folder in their own account.

Likewise the same metadata/link is available when you share a new folder using /2/sharing/share_folder and check on the operation using /2/sharing/check_share_job_status, or when modifying an existing shared folder using /2/sharing/update_folder_policy.

Also, you can share a shared folder with a specific group using /2/sharing/add_folder_member.

Hope this helps! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Simon_C New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?