cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

list_revisions and file deletion information

list_revisions and file deletion information

Patrik H.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Dropboxers,

In API v1, the list of revisions for a file included information that seems to missing in the new API v2.

Specifically:

A. In the old API, if a while was created, then deleted, then re-created, the intermediate deletion was visible in the results returned by /revisions (as a "revision" which simply had the "is_deleted" flag set to true, and file size zero). In the results returned by the API v2 "list_revisions" call, there is only a global "is_deleted" flag at the very top, indicating whether the file is currently deleted. In the scenario of creation-deletion-creation, it is completely invisible that the file was for a while deleted.

B. In the old API, when a file was deleted, the information returned by /revisions showed who (which user) had deleted the file. In the new API v2 "list_revisions", there is only the global "is_deleted" flag at the top, and the server timestamp indicating when the file was deleted. There is no information on which user deleted the file.

Looking at the "Version history" available on the Dropbox website, for the same file, does show the intermediate deletion, and also who deleted the file (for a file in a shared folder). So Dropbox internally does have all this information, still.

My questions are then:

1. Did I miss something, or is it indeed the case that /list_revisions is crippled in the way I described, compared to the earlier API?

2. If indeed it is missing information, any plans on changing this?

My use case is an app which provides a nice interface to the full history of a Dropbox account, and easy reversion to a previous state. This has worked remarkably well with API v1, but it looks like API v2 is a significant step in the wrong direction in many ways (for example, apparently also limiting the number of revisions to 100 now, from 1000 in API v1).

Thanks for any help!

Patrik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Patrik, thanks for the detailed post. Your description of the current state of the revisions functionality in API v2 is accurate. I'm sending this along to the team to see if we can improve this in API v2 in the future, but I can't make any promises or offer a timeline.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Patrik, thanks for the detailed post. Your description of the current state of the revisions functionality in API v2 is accurate. I'm sending this along to the team to see if we can improve this in API v2 in the future, but I can't make any promises or offer a timeline.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?