cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v2 Search API results delayed

v2 Search API results delayed

DolphInApiUser
Explorer | Level 3

After uploading a file into dropbox, it looks like the v2 search API has a noticeable delay before the file will appear. I don't recall this issue with the v1 API, but its quite apparent now.

Repro steps:

1. Drag and drop a file into dropbox on Mac OSX and see checkbox indicating upload is completed.

For my tests I'm adding a .jpg file into /test/

2. Verify file appears in web interface for DropBox

3. Execute curl request as per dropbox api

curl -X POST https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/search \
--header "Authorization: Bearer [TOKEN HERE] " \
--header "Content-Type: application/json" \
--data "{\"path\": \"/test/\",\"query\": \"jpeg\",\"start\": 0,\"max_results\": 100,\"mode\": \"filename\"}"

Notice that search returns 0 results. After a period of time, it will then return the file uploaded in step 1.

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Some delay is expected when using the search API endpoint, for both API v1 and API v2, per the documentation: /1/search and /2/files/search.

The amount of delay depends on a number of different factors though, and can vary from account to account, and over time. That being the case, you will see varying amounts of delay like this. 

(For reference, if you know the file or folder path, it's always to query directly, e.g., using /2/files/get_metadata or /2/files/list_folder[/continue] as those aren't subject to the delay.)

jianwen
Explorer | Level 3

I encountered the same issue,In my scenario,the searched folder is created about 2 days ago.the latency is not acceptable.any suggestion for the latency issue? @Greg-DB

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jianwen Are you still seeing this issue? We did fix a general issue yesterday that could have resulted in missing search results.

jianwen
Explorer | Level 3

It seems work well for now.In recent days,the search api work well in my application. thanks @Greg-DB

by the way,why i did not receive the email notification when i got reply or mentions in threads?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jianwen Thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear that search is working properly for you again.

I believe you should automatically get emailed when there's a new reply on a thread you're following, or when you're mentioned. I can't offer support for the forum itself, but I recommend making you're following any threads you're interested in (use the "Follow" button on the right-hand side) and check your email account's spam folder to see if the emails are getting filtered.

jianwen
Explorer | Level 3

@Greg-DB from today,search results not working.as the before,created more than days ago folder can not be searched.

I do not know what happend.thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jianwen Please open an API ticket with details so we can check on this for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact

Thanks in advance! 

jianwen
Explorer | Level 3
I update the folder (create new folder) to trigger the index update,then search results return correct.
I do not have details now,i will create ticket when the search results return incorrect again.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jianwen Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?