cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

About the Dropbox Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No edit feature in new Community view

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Thanks for the clarification, @Sheena!

@Sheena wrote:
... When you're logged in, that list of messages will only refresh every 15 minutes, and if you're logged out every 4 hours. ...

As far as I can see this "caching" doesn't affect only logged in users! It's the same if I'm not logged in! Actually, on the clip I have posted before, I'm not logged in! If this isn't desirable, as seems from your last post here, seems like a bug. Anyway... this is just a try to fulfill probably missing part of the puzzle. 😉

PS:

изображение.png

Seems the caching doesn't apply uniformly. 🧐 🤔

Здравко

Hello @Sheena,

Hope I'm finding you in well shape today! 😉

Can I ask for one more thing, again? 🤔😳🙂🤩🙃 Ok, I'm assuming Yes!

Some widely used symbol sequences, used as shortcuts for emotions, are transformed to corresponding pictures (emoticons) in Dropbox forum. It's fine for fast and expressive communication (and well looking 😉). Despite I can't understand, why the same transformation scheme gets applied to codeblocks too!? On such places some raw codes are usually set to, not emotions! Sometime particular syntax could expect a symbol sequence matching particular emoticon. What gets up? 😵 Such a situations could be seen on many post from users providing a log for example.. and others. Let's take a particular case. I have to give a command to somebody, which containing RE inside and some symbol classes have to be denoted as a part of this RE. I believe you know the RE's symbol class syntax. Will put it here for completeness (including some space to prevent emotion transformations):

[[:class_name: ]]

Where class_name is a particular symbol class name like 'alpha', 'alnum',... etc. The exact syntax of mine, above, will give error (all symbols have to be stick together, without anything between, including spaces)! But what's going on when I write it in correct manner:

[[:class_name:]]

This makes the code broken! 🙁 There are many other examples. How can I explain here (take a look on the last code block) what should be the command, for example?!

Could be possible such transformations to be disabled for code blocks or a option be added lets us turn them off? 🧐

Keep healthy!

Sheena
Community Manager

Hi @Здравко! I have some great news for you, I'm actually testing a new version of this editor currently, and it fixes that exact issue!

Here's a screenshot of a test I just ran with the new editor:Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 14.36.25.png

This new editor is not ready to go live just yet as we're still working out some of the kinks, but I believe it will be ready by Wednesday the 16th December. I'll post back here when it's live so you'll be able to test it out yourself 🙂 

Sheena
Community Developer @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко

Wow... That's great. 👍

While you and the team are on this wave, one more proposal. Just for better looking, nothing more. Would be fine, I think, ability for syntax highlighting to be added for codeblocks. Not everything gets there is a raw text like logs, for example. When there are shell scripts in use or other programing languages, a dropdown menu which lets proper syntax selection would give different view/feeling. 🧘💃🕺👏👌😉

Even more. In many programing solutions, more than one programming language gets in use in a single source file. There is always one main and could be other pieces of code embedded inside (one or more). In some of mine posts I have combined C source into bash script, for example. Would be fine be supported the nesting of highlighting scheme, on the forum at least with borders pointed explicitly (would be difficult autodetection). The different supported schemas could be shared with Dropbox text files preview, for example. One move - two solutions. 😉

I'm waiting for the final solution!

Sheena
Community Manager

I make no promises, but I'll see what I can do @Здравко! I'll let you know when it's live :slight_smile:

Sheena
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко

Hi @Sheena,

Hope, You're well today! 🙂

As always, I want to signal for one more forum issue. 🤷 Is the restriction, to use "Show more" button (available on most forum's lists):

изображение.png

... while logged out, something intentional or is just a bug once again? 🧐 For example open the forum main page in a incognito browser window. Are you able to "show more" items there? 🤔 Why?

And one more thing related to the dropbox.com site, not the forum. For some reason, recently, Dropbox' site (when logged in your account) can't automatically update files/folders list when added some file (a picture, for example) from a phone, as used to before. This is not something strictly related to the web interface only but to the underlying features, seems. I have mentioned it in another post, but want to catch your attention as a web designer for Web interface aspect of the issue. So, you would be able redirect it where needed and if need and applicable.

Have a nice day and weekend ahead! 😉

Sheena
Community Manager

Hi @Здравко  🙂 Always glad to hear from you, hope all is well!

@Здравко wrote:

As always, I want to signal for one more forum issue. 🤷 Is the restriction, to use "Show more" button (available on most forum's lists):

изображение.png

... while logged out, something intentional or is just a bug once again? 🧐 For example open the forum main page in a incognito browser window. Are you able to "show more" items there? 🤔 Why?

I'll have a fix rolled out for that on Tuesday, it's a little javascript bug. As you mentioned it works when you're logged in, but logged out the button doesn't do anything.

@Здравко wrote:

And one more thing related to the dropbox.com site, not the forum. For some reason, recently, Dropbox' site (when logged in your account) can't automatically update files/folders list when added some file (a picture, for example) from a phone, as used to before. This is not something strictly related to the web interface only but to the underlying features, seems. I have mentioned it in another post, but want to catch your attention as a web designer for Web interface aspect of the issue. So, you would be able redirect it where needed and if need and applicable.

This isn't something I'm familiar with as I don't work on the Dropbox product itself, but I'll pass on the details internally. Thanks!

Sheena
dropbox.com/support

Здравко

Hi @Sheena,

One more question related to a recent change in the forum post create/edit view. Why was removed ability to cite (quote) previous post (or part of it) on reply? You're using this feature in many post and I'm guessing doesn't need somebody convince you such feature is useful.

Yes I know that as a possibility, it's still there:

@Здравкоwrites:

Hello world! 🙂🤩💔

..., but isn't more convenient to be accessible as a button, as was before? 🤔 That button is missing (for some reason - not very clear why)!

Have a nice day! 😉

Sheena
Community Manager

Hi @Здравко! You're right, it's way better as a button, but don't worry! This change is temporary. 

I'm sure you've noticed that there have been a few problems recently with this text box / editor, especially when it comes to emojis and the general layout. It's something we're working on with the platform developers but we don't yet have a timeframe. 

Sheena
dropbox.com/support

Sheena
Community Manager

Hi @Здравко 

I come bearing good news today 🙂 The issue with the editor has been fixed, so emoji's are back working but also...

Here I'm adding a code box

[[:codeboxcheck:]]

UPPERCASE
lowercase
MiX oF cAsEs

As you can see the first issues you asked about are now fixed as well 🙂 

Still working on the 'Show more' button for users that are not logged in, however happy to have fixed this issue finally!

Sheena
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?