Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

8.4.19 Stops Paint Shop Pro 9 from working

Level 4

I use Paint Shop Pro 9 as my go to image editor, yes it's old but I bought it and it's lightweight and has everything I need in an image editor.

Since DropBox updated to 8.4.19 (without telling me) PSP refuses to work on either my laptop or desktop.

As soon as I removed DB from each machine PSP runs fine.

I have re-installed the latest DB and PSP then stops working.

I have tested this on each machine and can replicate the issue.

47 Replies

Re: 8.4.19 Stops Paint Shop Pro 9 from working

Level 1

Confirmed, sadly. I was also having issues where PSP9 hangs on startup starting last night. Until just now when I found this, I had no idea what was going on. I tried uninstalling Dropbox which was indeed version 8.4.19, and PSP9 works immediately again. :o

Level 1

Me the same slightly smiling face

Level 1

Me too!! What is the solution? I use Paint Shop Pro Photo for my photo editing work, and use Dropbox to share photo files with my employee. Paint Shop will not launch since the update from Dropbox 7.4.30 to 8.4.19 !

What can I do? Is there a fix coming? Can I get Dropbox 7.4.30 back?I tried doing a system restore point to August 18 but receive error messages and it did not work or affect Dropbox for some reason.

Everything was fine until this happened, and can not afford to lose access to Paint Shop or dropbox. Please HELP! Jen

Level 1

Also an interesting side note, when I was experiencing the problem, Jasc Animation Shop 3 [which comes packaged with Paint Shop Pro 9] still loaded fine despite PSP9 not loading. I also noticed, even if you end the dropbox.exe task on a computer having this issue, PSP9 still won't load up, so it looks like the problem is a direct result of the installation of 8.4.19 and not just the two programs conflicting while one or the other is open in Task Manager. :o

Level 1

Same issue here.

Level 1

Me too, When I uninstalled Dropbox 8.4.19, the Paintshop Pro 9 launched as normal. But as soon as I installed the Dropbox, it stop launch again (stuck loading at memory 10.956K)

I tried to change the "Paint Shop Pro 9.exe" to compatibility mode, it didn't help. I don't see any dll files that's installed to windows directory has anything to do with loading "Paint Shop Pro 9.exe". The only suspicious things that I found are they have some same name pyd files (python, like a windows dll file) between two directory. Which I am too stupid (without any software debug tool) to figure out the effect on why Paintshop Pro not launching :(

I've been using Paintshop pro 9 forever, I am too old to start learning a new program, and too cheap to buy a new one too. 

Level 1

Same problem. Hope there comes a fix soon. 

Level 1

I've seen 4+ incidents with different clients where the dropbox version release8.4.19 causes a COM registered server on Windows 7 to stop being accessible and any attempts on re-registering the dll providing the COM server (using c:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe) leaves the regsvr32.exe process hanging with no response (i.e. has to be killed via task manager). This obviously has a very negative effect on the program dependent on the COM server :-(

So... What change was included in the 8.4.19 upgrade which would incur such a negative behavior?  Please advise!

Level 1

I fixed it!! I saw some advice on another thread here about a separate issue that pointed me in the right direction.

Go to Computer Management on your computer, go to Services, you'll see two Dropbox update commands. Right click on each one, go to Properties, select Disable.

Uninstall Dropbox 8.4.19. Reinstall stable build version 7.4.30 from this link:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/210002346-Stable-Build-7-4-30

Bingo ! My Corel Paint Shop Pro opens again !!!

Jen

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

8.4.19 Stops Paint Shop Pro 9 from working
47 Replies
21 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post