Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Accessibility to the Disabled

Explorer | Level 4

Unless I'm searching this community for accessibility to the disabled incorrectly, I find nothing on target, even googling "DropBox accessibility" returns only info about some Mac feature.  The DropBox website has no Accessibility Statement. With such a large community, surely the subject has come up.

Does anyone know if DropBox has plans to make this fine application accessible to the disabled, at least compliant to Title III of the ADA?

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Accessibility to the Disabled

Dropboxer

Hey there @PeterA2O - welcome to our Community and sorry for the slightly late response.  

To begin with, could you clarify what exactly are you looking for? 

I'm only asking because we do support accessibility software such as screen-readers etc. at the moment - it's up to you which one you'd like to utilize though. 

Dropbox is committed to building and supporting accessibility and ensuring everyone can use Dropbox products and services. We aim to develop our features to conform to the WCAG 2.1 AA standard, to ensure that everyone can use our products. 

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter.  WCAG 2.1 is the standard, and compliance to a AA rating is a good target.  Title II and III of the ADA is just the law that enforces it.

I do believe DropBox would like to be accessible.  It is a fine application with a friendly community, but I can show violations to the above accessibility standard.  Listening to a screen reader can help, but the W3C folks who brought us WCAG also have a structured, objective test methodology looking for embedded clues in the content, HTML tags and their attributes used by screen readers to convey syntax.

Let me give an example.  You can make text large and bold to indicate a header or use an H2 tag in HTML to do so. Only in the latter case is the blind guy told it's a header, allowing him to skim through headers looking for content the same as you and I.  Images, tables, forms, and complex dynamic content have their own rules. If DropBox followed them, screen readers and other assistive technology would make use of DropBox since they follow the same rules.

Another way to explore this is to google "DropBox accessibility" and compare the results to "Google Drive accessibility".  There is a lot more to say about the discrepency than can fit here, but suffice it to say that accessibility isn't hard to arrange.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thank you for your prompt and elaborate response Peter - it's most appreciated.

While I'll make sure to pass your comments on to the relevant team, I'd also like to get in touch with you via your Dropbox email address so I can have this reviewed by one of our team experts.  Would this be OK with you Peter? 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Happy to email or talk to DropBox folks about online accessibility.   Techie folks about HTML, CSS, and Javascript, but also your marketing folks about a really inexpensive way to pick up maybe 10% of your usage, and your legal beagles about your current liability.  And there's also just doing the right thing.  Disability is a club we can join at the drop of a hat, particularly as we age.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift response and your extensive feedback on this Peter!

As promised, I just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address so we can look into this together.

Whenever you find some spare time, take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for your diligence!

Walter

Explorer | Level 4

Got it and replied

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Accessibility to the Disabled
6 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution