Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Any UK Cyber Monday deals?

Helpful | Level 7

Been waiting around in hope for a Dropbox Cyber Monday deal. 

I saw there was a US-only 4-hour promo on Friday, but us Brits are feelin' unloved!

C'mon, persuade me to upgrade winking face

Tags (2)
9 Replies

Re: Any UK Cyber Monday deals?

Helpful | Level 5

Amazon UK has a year of Dropbox Plus for £55:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dropbox-Plus-user-year-Online/dp/B07C5CW7TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=15432283...

I can't get the code to redeem though.

Helpful | Level 7

Perfect! You are a star! I looked earlier this morning and it wasn't there - thank you!

I managed to redeem my code OK, did you check the right language etc? What was the error? From the Amazon page...

How to redeem this product:

1. Navigate to the following URL: https://www.dropbox.com/pro/redeem_key
  2. Enter your license key and activate your account

Helpful | Level 5

I get the error "This licence key is not valid for your country."

I cannot see anywhere in the Dropbox website to set what country I live in.

I have always lived in the UK.

Helpful | Level 7

That's really weird - for me, it's right below the license key entry box at https://www.dropbox.com/pro/redeem_key - I just changed it from US to UK

dbcountry.png

Helpful | Level 5

From my research, it seems that my problem is that I signed up for a Dropbox subscription years ago, before they asked what country you lived in.

Dropbox has therefore assumed that my country is the United States.

Due to a bizarre technical limitation with Dropbox (you can't change your country if you have an active subscription), I cannot redeem the code until my existing subscription ends in February.

Unfortunately, when I do that, i will lose access to some of the features that Dropbox no longer offers.

Helpful | Level 7

I would get in touch with support - that can't be right!

Super User II

@talkingnews wrote:

I would get in touch with support - that can't be right!

It is correct, actually.

The billing country cannot be changed on an active subscription. To change the billing country, you have to allow the account to expire and then resubscribe using the new payment method. No files or bonus space is lost, but any features that were grandfathered in to the original plan that are no longer available will be lost when you resubscribe.

Helpful | Level 7

I would still get in touch with support

Helpful | Level 5

After two weeks of waiting for a response after the issue was "escalated" by support, they have confirmed that there is nothing I can do to solve this problem.

I have decided that after being a Dropbox customer since 2012, I will not renew my subscription and will switch to OneDrive.

I have been disappointed with this whole saga, including:

1. The fact that this limitation exists at all. Do not introduce the concept of a billing country to your system if you get it wrong and do not allow the customer to change it. The product key said that it would only work in the United Kingdom. As a resident of the UK, I therefore expected the key to work.
  2. The removal of features that used to be available to customers of the old "Pro" service, such as sharing links expiry.
  3. The very poor support I received when I logged a support ticket about this.
Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Any UK Cyber Monday deals?
9 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post