Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Basic Account to Pro Account classic bait and switch?

Helpful | Level 5

I have used the basic account for dropbox for several years and have always been happy with the product.  I find it useful, but do not utilize it heavily.  About 90 days ago, I tried to access a folder that an associate shared and found that I had exceeded my permissable file size limit.  No problem, right?

I deleted all my previous files then refreshed the system and again attempted to access the shared folder.  I get the same error, despite now having no files...needless to say I spent an hour or two trying to troubleshoot the issue with support.  I saw many others suffering the same frustration, but without any answers for how to resolve it.  

At a loss, I realized I could update to the Pro Account for free on a 30 day trial...I was hesitant to do this, because I often forget to cancel these things after the 30 days., but not finding a solution I opted to do so and I was able to access the data.

I think you all know where this is now headed...I failed to cancel and the come to find I spent more than $800 for a product I rarely use with 'no full or partial refund for the term'.  Lovely.  I spent $800 to basically troubleshoot a very poor design flaw in Dropbox's basic product.  Nice to have your customer pay to fix your product flaws, although it isn't likely that they'll want to remain customers and probably damages consumer attitudes regarding the product over time.  It seems like a short-sighted policy.

While I am at fault for not managing the 30 day cancellation, the practice in general feels malicious.  Dropbox fails to address legitmate issues with the basic product, then offers 30-day trial as a solution and some portion of the user base fails to cancel in 30 days.  Nice grift.

Any thoughts from a super user?  Tough nails?

10 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Basic Account to Pro Account classic bait and switch?

Helpful | Level 7

The pro account is $99 with an additional $40 for pack rat feature. You paid $800? I find that very interesting that you alledgedly paid 8 x the advertised price.

Helpful | Level 5

Shaun, 

Good due diligence.  I should get my terms straight prior to posting.  Are you associated with Dropbox or just trolling me?  If associated with Dropbox, then it seems you'd know that the 'Business' account or whatever the term is for the $800 annual fee based service may be--was what I meant...not the 'Pro' or to whatver service you refered that is only $80.

The marketing ploy goes like this.  Business account costs $12.50 per month per user (so $150 at most right?) Oh, wait.  Read the fine print...you are actually signing up for 5 licenses on the same account so $750 plus taxes and fees.  Hence the $800.  

I appreciate the 'interest', but other than correcting my poor reference to the product (only three to choose from) this provides little response to the problem at hand.

Helpful | Level 7

Hi soccer4jon I am neither affiliated with dropbox nor a troll. Please read here for the defenition of a troll. I commented on your post because of the price you stated you paid for the pro version. I felt you paid 8x times too much. I see now that it was the business version and not the pro version per your reply. In either mathematical calculation $12.50x5x12 = $750 annually and $15x5x12=$900. I doublt you actually paid $800 by the way. In any case, I understand now what you meant. It isn't a good feeling to have something this expensive if you are not wanting nor using the service. I hope you have found some good use for the service though. I persoanlly use the pro version and have about 400GB of data in there. I actually need more stoarge for pictures and video but do not need 5 seats in the buisness acocunt. 1-2 would be good hence the reason I feel that $800 is too much for the service.

Helpful | Level 5

Shaun,

Due to my frustrations, I was less than polite in my response.  I appreciate the definition of a 'troll' as I have only ever used it in context and haven't read the definintion.  While you may not have felt your post qualified, I certainly felt that way (sow discord) -- albeit, from my own misguided sense of frustration.

I am the only one using the account.  I have no need of 5 licenses.  I was simply trying to resolve a short term issue with the free account and then foolishly let the 30 days elapse.  I take full accountability for not canceling and for not thoroughly reading their terms, but it doesn't make their policy any less palatable.

I tried to attach an image of my Wells Fargo credit card account, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of posting it to a site I can reference.

The charge was on 8/18/16 coded Dropbox*XC6STR36K### 888-4468396 CA #2490641KPOV93### for $797.63.

I can try to track down the invoice to detail how the math goes from $750 to $797.63 but I don't think either of us thinks that detail is all that relevant.  I'd be willing to take $500 back at this point and call it a day.

I contacted support to seek formal arbitration.  We'll see what they have to say.

Helpful | Level 5

WHAT EVER YOU DO, use always use paypal. Remove the card immediately after that. Dropbox can charge whatever they want, but it will always fail because your card is not there. 

Super User II
If you've paid $c800 you have actually paid for and set up a Business account (www.dropbox.com/business) rather than a Pro one. This is because Business accounts are $15per user per month with a minimum number of 5 users (e.g. $750pa). Also, Pro does not do free trials - only business does. Note that, unfortunately, it is very very clear when joining that you will be charged this so it seems you've not read it properly (I know I flick through screens myself as well!).

In terms of the quota issue deleting deleted files wont have any affect - deleted files do not use quota.

One thing that MAY have been an issue when you were trying to get to the share is that the folder was simply too big for your account so regardless of how much you deleted you'd never have been able to accept it. E.g. If your account quota is 4gb and the share was 6gb even if your account was empty you are still 2gb under quota.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Super User II
Also a word of warning with PayPal - it may actually be a BAD idea to use it. PayPal T&C's state that they will use any card or bank account on your account to take debts so, if you want to use that you need to make sure you have NO payment methods listed at all. Also, certainly in the UK, the way PayPal is set up means you have no come back to your card provider for false charges, so, if a company did manage to charge your card and you disputed with the card provider (Visa/Mastercard or whatever) they wouldnt help, you would HAVE to speak to PayPal.... and if they side with the merchant you've no come back. In the UK you also lose all of your card protection against things like product not being as advertised etc. if you pay via PayPal.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

The same thing happened to me!  Except I can't even get them to show me when and where I signed up and agreed to an $800 dollar charge!  It looks like this is a new scam for 2017.

I am looking for recourse.  They would not even let me change to a monthly payment plan or change the credit card.  Other online service like PREZI offer this.

Would any others that lost $800 like to join together in looking for recourse.

It is too bad.  I was such a fan of Dropbox and wanted to see it succeed.  Its blatant disregard for its customers is breathtaking.

Thanks.

Shari

Super User II
You joined and signed up at www.dropbox.com/business where it very VERY clearly states, numerous times, that this is the price you will pay after the 30 day trial. It is, unfortunately, not Dropbox's fault you didnt read the pages before following the prompts.

Note that Dropbox Pro for home use has NO such free trial.

You can change the payment method, for future payments, but not ones that have gone through at www.dropbox.com/account (card used) and www.dropbox.com/plans to move between options.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Basic Account to Pro Account classic bait and switch?
10 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution