Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Can't change e-mail address OR password

New member | Level 2

I use Dropbox at work and have only been at this job for a year.  The business' Dropbox account was active before I came along, and the e-mail address on our account was cancelled before I started working here.  Dropbox has also expired my password.  I know the old password, and I am able to access my account because it is linked to my computer desktop.  However, when I access my account online I am unable to change my e-mail address to our current address - when I try to I am redirected to the "your password has been expired" page, and a reset link is then sent to the e-mail address that no longer exists.  When I try to change the password, by entering the old one and then suggesting a new one, I am redirected to the same page.  Is there some way for me to change the e-mail address and/or password on my account without using the reset link?  I have read through all of the help pages and I did read that, as long as I have my OLD password I should be able to make the changes, but I can't figure out how to do that...  I would just create a new account and transfer the files over, but the whole purpose of the account is for a shared folder with our accountant, and it is currently being used to share information.

2 Replies

Re: Can't change e-mail address OR password

Super User II

BWMW wrote:

Is there some way for me to change the e-mail address and/or password on my account without using the reset link?

No, there isn't. If your password has expired and you don't have access to the email address that is associated with your account, then there's no way to reset your password. The one item that may save you is having a computer linked to the account that you still have access to. Open a ticket with Dropbox Support and see if they can assist.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Re: Can't change e-mail address OR password

New member | Level 2

Okay.  I was afraid of that.  Thanks, Rich.  

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't change e-mail address OR password
2 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post