cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Dropbox at all

Can't connect to Dropbox at all

Mungo5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all - I was hoping someone could help. I cannot connect to Dropbox either by going to the website or by opening the desktop application. This seems to have happened after a windows update a few days ago. Dropbox says that I have no internet connection and that it can't connect.

1. I have tried using Chrome, Edge & Firefox in normal & 'incognito' modes but all won't connect.

2. I have booted up in to Safe Mode with networking but the problem is still there

3. Windows defenda firewall is switched off as we use Nod32. I have truned off the firewall in that application but the problem is still there

4. I have been using Dropbox on this PC for over 2 years with no previous issues

5. I have not installed any progarms recently

6. All updates including Anti Virus & windows are up to date

7. I have already spent 45 minutes on live chat to Dropbox but they could not help

8. When I open TOR I can connect to www.dropbox.com without a problem

9. There are no other issues with any other program connecting to the internet

10. I have restarted my router

11. I was advised to un-install & then re-install dropbox but the installer can't connect to the internet so the application won't re-install

I'm at a loss as to what to do 😞

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Eliminate your router and plug the computer directly into the modem, assuming they're separate devices. If you have an ISP that gives you those crappy combined modem/router devices, then the neighbor or your in-laws will be a better and easier test.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Mungo5, welcome to Dropbox Community!

First let’s make sure you have Installed the latest version of the Desktop client here.

If the issue persissts and you receive any error messages, a screenshot of the error message here would be very helpful.

Let me know how it goes!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
If he can't even connect to the Dropbox website, the application version wouldn't matter. The fact that the website works when he opens TOR indicates a likely network issue. Something on the network is blocking all connections to Dropbox.

Is this a corporate network? If so, you should contact your IT group to see if they're now blocking access to Dropbox. If you have the ability to, put the computer on a different (mobile hotspot would be a good test) and see if Dropbox is able to connect.

Mungo5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich - thanks for the reply. The computor in question is connected to a router at home. The one in the office works no problem. 

I suppose I could ask our neighbour for their Wi-Fi password but I haven't tested the strength of their signal so I don't know if it would be strong enough. Failing that I could up sicks and take the entire thing to my in-laws a few miles away and connect to their router. 

My gut feeling is that it is something to do with the PC and not the router. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Eliminate your router and plug the computer directly into the modem, assuming they're separate devices. If you have an ISP that gives you those crappy combined modem/router devices, then the neighbor or your in-laws will be a better and easier test.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Mungo5 New member | Level 2
    Norah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?