Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Cannot expand to see entire file names/ locations

Level 4

There seems to be no option to expand boxes or files to see the entire name/ location of a file with a long name. I’ve encountered this a few times on dropbox now in a few ways and it is frustrating.

The most recent being at work where I had to upload thousands of files from a freelance designers' iMac, who had very poor workflow resulting in hundreds of files with almost identical - and long - names. Sigh. At the completion of the uploads, scrolling through the upload log box to check all the errors was where I got stuck.

So, as you can imagine, a lot of time has been spent trying to track down and figure out where/ what file is missing. Tedious to say the least. I am on a late 2013 27" iMac, using Chrome as my browser (Safari doesn't support folder uploads) and also have the dropbox app on my desktop which I use as much as is possible.

Guessing this is more like feedback to be considered in the next update, rather then a problem to fix... but if anyone does happen to know if there's a way around this or if I'm missing something, I would greatly appreciate some help?

It won't allow me to insert a screenshot here either so am hoping I've made sense in my description

Cheers

31 Replies

Re: Cannot expand to see entire file names/ locations

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Bek-R,

Thank you for your extensive explanation on this, we really appreciate it. 

A screenshot of the issue you are experiencing would help, you can upload one by going to the "Photos" button while editing your post here and then "Upload" to upload a screenshot of this (removing personal information).

Once again your feedback is very much appreciated and I'm passing it on to our Developers.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

Hi Zed

Thanks for your reply

Uploading the screenshot worked this time - the only way it worked was to upload it as my profile picture first:

Dropbox Upload_02.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Bek-R,

Thanks for the clarification and for providing a screenshot.

We are always looking for user input regarding the features on our website. I will make sure your comments are passed along to our development team.

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreaciate it.

Zed

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 6

Yeah. It's absolute crap. It's 2017 and you'd think they'd figure this out by now, the fact that Dropbox is a file service and having the ability to see more than 8 characters of a file name on the web and mobile devices would be something they cared about. Doesn't matter if you pay $150/month for the business account either. 

Level 4

Hah! And here I was thinking I definitely must be going mad... surely I'm wrong somehow.

After uploading thousands of files with around 680 errors,

I had to go through folder by folder, comparing each file to the original to check if any were missing...

And on that day, I poked my left eye out with a fork to take the pain away.

Level 2

This is a ridiculous flaw in  using DropBox. I hope they fix this soon some apps have the full name of the file visible when you mouse over it.

Dropboxer

Hey WayneR

Thanks for getting in touch with this feedback. 

It 'll be a pleasure to pass this on to the developers' team, so as to take that into consideration for future improvements. Much appreciated, and please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with in your reply!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 5
This would be encouraging if it wasn't the same answer we've heard for 3 years.

Level 6

We've just decided to go full custom Synology server. 18T of storage, one-time payment. Done.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cannot expand to see entire file names/ locations
31 Replies
19 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post